Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

How do you handle tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HAVOC
4. (if you come to a stop light) put your kick stand down, get off the bike and have a polite conversation about the proper and safe distance needed when following another motor vehicle

had a car cut off our group while riding one day there were 5 of us. so we surrounded the car while driving and dropped the speed down to a complete stop in the middle of the backroads we were on . lol that was an awesome day
HAHAHA!!! That sounds like something I would do!

Thankfully, I haven't encountered any REALLY bad tail-gaters... yet. So far the only thing needed to do is change lanes and they leave me alone. As for aggressive drivers, I get away from them as fast as possible. I usually add a small detour to my route with a few extra lights and a lot of turns.... makes it easier to lose them and most of the time makes them "lose interest" in whatever it is they are interested in.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Well I had an accident because of that almost 3 years ago, someone hit me in my rear wheel and of course i went down with my bike and this stupid hit another 2 cars.

The end of the story was 2 cars damaged my bike and myself cause i wasnt wearing my jacket.

Since that, when i have a tailgater i just hit a little my brakes making them to go back, if that doesnt works then i just say "Good Byeee..." with the one finger sign and twist the throttle....

Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM

My first wreck was due to my distraction at such a driver, keeping an eye on them can be good, but some of the best advice I've ever gotten from one of my riding instructors I kept in contact with from the MSF course was "The one thing I keyed in on was you were worried about the people behind you, and the best piece of advice I can say to that is THE ONLY VEHICLE YOU HAVE CONTROL OF IS YOUR OWN, so worrying about the driver behind you is one of the mistakes you don't need." It really takes your focus off of what is going on ahead of you, and if you're slowing down for a turn, you usually will go in far too hot, that's what happened to me, and a couple other people I know... I know a few riders besides myself that carry ball ping hammers now, I also have a friend who carries a HUGE pocket full of change, and just tosses pennies and quarters at the guy while he's riding, which I find absolutely hilarious. Drivers usually get the message if stuff gets thrown at their car, and if it gets even worse than that, pull into a gas station or something, if he follows you, kick that mother f--kers a$$!!! or, pull off. But all of the advice given here was great, break tap works well too. I love this forum because combined I bet everybody here has like 50-100 years of riding experience. haha

Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 AM

Keep this one going, I am actually curious to hear an opinion as to what you guys think of the methods I mentioned...?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM

ROFL Goloth, I can just see some stupid sap caught in a change shower lol. Classic!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by XCeller8
ROFL Goloth, I can just see some stupid sap caught in a change shower lol. Classic!
Yeah it's really funny, he usually tries to start with pennies and works his way up too, I think he might even have a couple 50 cent coins in there, those oughta hurt. haha

Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM

That is why I love the open carry law in Nevada. You can just arch up on the bike and flash the holster. That usually makes them slow WAY down.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM

I usually turn off somewhere,if that isn't an option,I'll speed up and avoid them altogether.If those 2 dont work,a nice backfire tends to get their attention. If they still insist on being a douchenozzle,then it's on like donkey kong.......

I've always said if you want to see how stupid some drivers are,ride a motorcycle.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bammerman
That is why I love the open carry law in Nevada. You can just arch up on the bike and flash the holster. That usually makes them slow WAY down.

hahaha, I am in PA and we are allowed to open carry as well. I also noticed it does work. If I am concealed, I see more tailgaters, but if I am open carrying, I see less.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the replies, and yes gotta keep this thread going!

Goloth, each rider has their own way of dealing with this problem-- but for myself personally, I would not advocate becoming aggressive with a driver.

That is my own opinion of course.

The method I use is one I like the most, because it diffuses the situation by letting the idiot driver pass me....and I can also take note of his license plate.

Quick Reply: How do you handle tailgaters?