Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Front tyre came off while riding!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by woodypk
I pumped my tyre up to pressure and you can see from the pictures that the whole front tyre had no lube/sealant on it at all and couldn't hold pressure.
Tires do not require any sealant to set the beads against the wheel. It looks to me that this shop used too much of some type of soap and this did not allow the tire to seal the bead against the wheel or depending on the tools they used to change the tire they may have damaged the beads on the tires. I change my own tires and I use some soap to get the tire on the wheel then I wipe the bead down clean before setting the bead of the tire. If the wheel is straight and the bead set correctly it should be nearly impossible to have an air leak around the bead.

This is the reason I do all of my own work on my bike so I know its done right.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backdoc
Tires do not require any sealant to set the beads against the wheel. It looks to me that this shop used too much of some type of soap and this did not allow the tire to seal the bead against the wheel or depending on the tools they used to change the tire they may have damaged the beads on the tires. I change my own tires and I use some soap to get the tire on the wheel then I wipe the bead down clean before setting the bead of the tire. If the wheel is straight and the bead set correctly it should be nearly impossible to have an air leak around the bead.

This is the reason I do all of my own work on my bike so I know its done right.
Exactly backdoc, I've never seen any tyre fitter use anything but soapy water. With the shonky work by bike shops, a friend of mine had his engine seize after a service. The typical oil and filter change was done and not even a week after he had it sieze and lock the back wheel while riding. Turns out the shop in their "rush" or plain stupidness, forgot to put oil in the engine. The sump plug was in and a new filter was put on. Can't remember the outcome but it was one of those things where you think why should I need to check that they put oil in? That's the reason it was in the shop anyway. Useless bast@rds!

Last edited by pepperman; 01-02-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 AM

Hmm, bachdoc, when i've see videos of people changing a tyre by hand they always use a lube substance.

But even still, they should have cleaned the surface first?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, bachdoc, when i've see videos of people changing a tyre by hand they always use a lube substance.

I have always used Windex. Windex will also show any leaks. I agree that sealant is not necessary. The shop should have used some kind of lube and if they did they should have seen the leak (if not heard it sizzling). If they did not use a lubricant, than that is shabby workmanship. You need a lubricant to set the bead properly.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Either they didn't seat the tire properly or the rim was already damaged. Both are the mechanic's responsibility to catch.

If the rim was damaged, they should have informed you and refused to work with that rim.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM

good point, well since i posted this thread up the tyre hasn't seemed to lose any more pressure. But I really need a digi pressure gauge to tell for sure, but it feels the same so hopefully let just hope with it being a new tyre that it has just needed to be stretched in... Could this be the case now its sealed??

Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM

A friend of mine has a no-marr tire machine that we use to change tires all the time. It is a good practice to clean the rim during the change and use a lubricant to help seat the tire. It is actually air pressure that seats the tire. It "pops" onto the rim. I usually bounce the tire a few times and then set the correct air pressure. Once I remount the tires I check the pressure again.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Ok, so I tried pumping my tyre up again tonight and the result was, the more air I pumped in, The faster it came out. Also when I pres down on the handlebars you can hear it coming out. It seems like it's just not sealing right

Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Re-read my first post and you will see where I said I use soap to help get the tire on the wheel. Lube just helps the tire slide over the edge of the wheel. Dry rubber is sticky which would make it difficult to install a tire. Once the tire is on the wheel, no lube or anything is required to set the bead. Just slowly start pumping air into the tire with an air compressor and you should hear two pops when each side of the tire sets the bead against the wheel.

Ok, so I tried pumping my tyre up again tonight and the result was, the more air I pumped in, The faster it came out. Also when I pres down on the handlebars you can hear it coming out. It seems like it's just not sealing right
Did the shop put the correct size tire on your bike? A tire installed properly and the beads set correctly should not leak this bad.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Backdoc, yes the tyre is the correct size because it's one of only two types of tyres that fit on the CBR 125 (the other being bridgestone battlaxe).

But anyways I fixed the problem anyways.

I pumped it up over pressure and went out for a ride and the bead has settled it's self down nicely and there has been no more air leaks for a few hours ( indicated by my new digital pressure gauge - bought today hehe)

Thanks to all who replied anyways to try and help fix the problem, Cheers guys. Tom.

Quick Reply: Front tyre came off while riding!