Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the more you ride the more naturally it'll come. Don't stress it too much, do early morning/late night/ lunch rides where you know traffic will be at a minimum.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a good reason they restrict riders with permits and not licenses (in my state at least) from riding at night. Visibility is limited, people are tired, Motorcycles are harder to see etc etc. Riding at night to practice isn't a good idea. Weekends are better because the stress and deadlines of the week aren't present

Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to do my first ride on the main road tomorrow morning. I'm really nervous but I think I have enough practice now to manage on the big road. Let's see how it goes!
and thanks for the 10 tips FO!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkddns308
Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)
I've read about new riders who started out on a 1000RR and are still alive today. It's all about throttle control. The bike is only as quick and fast as however much your right wrist allows it to be. If you cannot control that then you might have a problem. Just because it can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds doesn't mean you have to.

As others have said, sign up for an MSF Basic Rider Course this spring and let the experts teach you the basics. In the meantime, please take it easy and watch out for those cagers because they are not going to be watching out for you.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

yup. I understand the whole throttle control thing. I'm really careful with the throttle, I honestly will go under the speed limit just to be safe(I guess for now). I'm super stoked for my first "legit" ride tomorrow morning. I'm nervous just thinking about it. I've been going through everything in my was all day, memorizing which roads I will practice on and back up roads incase the ones I picked get flooded with cars... Hopefully that won't be the case, I'll be rolling out around 6:00am xD

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's one major tip to give you: Look where you want to go!

Given you concerns about traffic, you may be susceptible to target fixation. But if you look where you want to go and don't focus on where you're afraid you'll end up, you'll be fine. The bike goes where you look. I'm sure there's an explanation for it but I don't know what it is. Let's just say several times I've nearly met that pretty girl on the sidewalk in the worst way

Oh yeah, one other major tip: remember to have fun!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

+1 on what kuroshio said about looking where you want to go. Remember when you first start riding a bicycle? "Im not going to hit the tree, Im not going to hit the tree.." What did you do? You hit the tree, because you were focusing so hard on the tree, you rode right into it. Its happened to all of us.

In enduro riding i had to learn early on to drive through the 90 degree turn or id smack the tree every time.
You dont want to do that on a street bike.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 AM

My first bike was a GSXR400R and that was a good road starter. Not to much grunt so you'll be lifting the front wheel accidentally nor not gutless so you have the torque there to get out of trouble should you need it. I say should you need the torque because often when the roads little surprises pop up your better off to give it gas to avoid a "situation" than to hit the piks. As for the 250 I wouldn't go there, as mentioned already you'll be bored with it in a few months. I'd say find a sweet cbr 400 and tuck the RR away for later. I have a F2 and if fast but not over the top and I'd say almost good for a confident beginner.
In your case I'm guessing your a little to nervous with your new toy and if your nervous it a case of when, not if. If you know what I mean. Buy some good riding gear mate, that may make you feel a little easier in the seat. Respect the bikes power as I'm sure you do and just enjoy the machine for what it is. Give it some snot somewhere like a track day, lean her over hard, brake her hard, juice her harder and you'll learn your bike can take a lot before it goes down. Then on the road you'll know the limits a realise your riding way under them which in turn should make you feel all the more confident in your skills and the bike you have.
But be safe in whatever you do.
Ride hard
Kiwi born

Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkddns308
I'm super stoked for my first "legit" ride tomorrow morning.
So, how'd things turn out yesterday?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the tips and help guys!
The ride was awesome for the most part. I started off very uneasy and nervous but after about a half hour on the street and getting used to higher speeds, I loved it! I did drop my bike(LOL) at a stoplight but luckily, I was the only one at the light(i think no one saw me drop it) so it wasn't too embarassing. I did about a two hour ride going to near by places, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of this riding season.

Sorry for the late reply, I lost internet for a few days at my place.
I'm still a bit nervous on the road, but I'm having a lot of fun riding now. I've been practicing everyday for about an hour and half on the streets. I'm beginning to get very comfortable with my cbr. Part of me still regrets the 600 as my first bike, but I'm growing to love it more everyday.

Thanks again for all the help guys, you guys really encouraged me to keep riding and practicing and reassured me that my fears and worries are all natural feelings!

Quick Reply: Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)