Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Crashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashing

One of Keith Code's articles is titled "crashing" and in it he says, "Riding errors which lead to crashing follow distinct patterns. Once detected they can be used to make huge leaps forward in skill and confidence."

What do you he means by "distinct patterns"? What kinds of errors do you think can indicate whether or not someone is on the path to crashing?"

The article can be seen here:

Crashing - Articles by Keith - Cornering Forum

Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 PM

have you watched twist of the wrist?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:37 AM

probably stuff like looking where you want to go and scanning ahead etc.

If you dont like reading, A twist of the wrist is on youtube in its entirety. every rider should watch it.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the video is not a good substitute for the book. If you get the book however, I recommend skipping part 1 and just go for part II. The video is okay to get both, but I think the first one is better, the second has a little more sales pitch for the book and school. Both are good, but I'm talking about "meat on the bones" for the uninitiated. Once you get a taste, though you'll probably want it all. I have all of Keith Codes published material.

Last edited by Jaybird180; 02-22-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Twreks
have you watched twist of the wrist?
I'm actually IN it

I've been a coach with the school for the past 14 years, just got back from coaching at the first school of the year in Las Vegas. We have a brand new fleet of the 2017 BMW S 1000's! So fun.

Back to the question. Someone mentioned that Keith probably means things like looking where you want to go and scanning ahead etc are indications or patterns of whether a person might crash or not but I want to know what other people think about this. What kinds of patterns do you think Keith is referring too when he talks about noticing patterns or errors do you think might indicate whether or not someone is on the path to crashing or not?

I'll tell you one thing we often see that is a big clue, we actually pull students in right away if we see them doing this. It's adding lean angle and throttle at the same time. If we see it happening on the track we pull the students in ASAP and coach them on why that isn't a good idea. That is an example of a CLEAR pattern or error that may lead to crashing. What others can you think of?

Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Misti
I'm actually IN it
Those darned leathers!

Off top of my head only woman I recall seeing was coaching the steering drill in T2. Was that you?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick Ienatsch's book Sport Riding Techniques is another good one.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-21-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Those darned leathers!

Off top of my head only woman I recall seeing was coaching the steering drill in T2. Was that you?
I'm in twist of the wrist II: I'm the mom driving the mini van and then coaching the two kids in the paddock. There is a scene where I'm leading them around giving them a hand signal while cornering. LOL. Pretty cool experience participating in filming for the movie

Old 02-22-2017, 09:54 AM

I think it's about time I grabbed my DVD copy and review the material...considering I've got 4 school dates coming up and all (wink, wink, LoL).

Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 PM

U might say how many near misses have u had. Who was at fault .could you have done anything different to change the outcome ...I know this is a bit radical but I think every biker should get a banged up scooter and crash it so u know what a real crash would feel like .
I doubt mean 40mph into a wall but falling off

Quick Reply: Crashing