Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
excel/decel & maintain correct/steady thru the turn & then gradually throttle/excel out of the turn (NOT thru the turn).....when bike is on a lean thru a turn, keep steady speed....don't pull the clutch! don't grab the brake (F + R) abrubtly.....if you feel speed is too fast for the turn when entering the turn, very light tap of the rear brake/or ease the throttle a bit to slow down is ok.....

what is a safe speed for any turn? it's the speed rider is comfortable with! by the end of the day, you are safely home with love ones is THE most important.
Thanks, basically I shouldn't be scared to maintain my speed in turns practiced on my ways to work and already feels much better

Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most rider has a strong side...some strong left or strong right. As for myself, I'm a strong left...my right lean is weaker. So I tend to lesson my speed a bit when approaching a right lean turn.

Once in a turn the lean angle can be adjust by again countersteering until the angle is corrected. Press on inside bar for more lean, outside bar for less lean.

Originally Posted by Freekman
Thanks, basically I shouldn't be scared to maintain my speed in turns practiced on my ways to work and already feels much better

Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM

+1 Estate, good advice. I would reinforce "don't pull in on the clutch light on any braking ". I'd like to add that most of your gear changes and braking should be done before the curve in question. The idea is not to upset the physics of the bike in the turn. Agree and have used the technique of slight rear braking if I find I am too hot(keeping in mind the 1000r has linked brakes) , but mostly I steer through those occurrences....and learn from the mistake happy I didn't pay too much for the lesson. Mostly stay alert and don't let them sneak up on you. When I doubt the path,I'll slow down on an unknown road or if I doubt the conditions. Lots of sand here these days in the mountain runs. If I slowed down too much it's ok - better than heading blind into a right handed downhill switchback too fast !
On the highway and the 'runs' I use all of my lane, careful about crossing the oilslick in the middle when it's hot outside. Along with coutersteering, on my Hurricane I point angle my body corresponding shoulder to curve direction going into the curve,head-up,looking through the curve as far as I can- and then pull the bike to me as I go through. This seems to work very well and precise on my bike,not sure I'm explaining it correctly. Dont 'lock up. Keep your arms relaxed to countersteer smoothly, not in jerks.I dont hang off, I feel that if I have to hang off,I am going WAY too fast which minimises the odds that I do make it back to my loved ones. I have to go home every day, no hospital, no jail, maybe an exception on wild women

Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Red face

+1 grendl ...100% agree.

I want to share this link below regarding cornering....very good source!

Tips for cornering on your motorcycle

even though I've been riding for 20 years, I keep going back to basics & keep learning new things everytime riding. NEVER underestimate mother nature, your bike's power, other drivers, self discipline, luck & ditto....Chit can happen so fast, and likely too late to make any changes. ( and of course i've went down before, god bless to be very lucky other cars did not hit me )

By end of day...its a matter of whom is going home to love ones....

I just saw one video on utube the other day, is about a new rider going high speed into a turn & just got frozen...I'll find it to share. Will post later...

Originally Posted by grendl
+1 Estate, good advice. I would reinforce "don't pull in on the clutch light on any braking ". I'd like to add that most of your gear changes and braking should be done before the curve in question. The idea is not to upset the physics of the bike in the turn. Agree and have used the technique of slight rear braking if I find I am too hot(keeping in mind the 1000r has linked brakes) , but mostly I steer through those occurrences....and learn from the mistake happy I didn't pay too much for the lesson. Mostly stay alert and don't let them sneak up on you. When I doubt the path,I'll slow down on an unknown road or if I doubt the conditions. Lots of sand here these days in the mountain runs. If I slowed down too much it's ok - better than heading blind into a right handed downhill switchback too fast !
On the highway and the 'runs' I use all of my lane, careful about crossing the oilslick in the middle when it's hot outside. Along with coutersteering, on my Hurricane I point angle my body corresponding shoulder to curve direction going into the curve,head-up,looking through the curve as far as I can- and then pull the bike to me as I go through. This seems to work very well and precise on my bike,not sure I'm explaining it correctly. Dont 'lock up. Keep your arms relaxed to countersteer smoothly, not in jerks.I dont hang off, I feel that if I have to hang off,I am going WAY too fast which minimises the odds that I do make it back to my loved ones. I have to go home every day, no hospital, no jail, maybe an exception on wild women

Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

You nailed the mantra for road riding there Grendi. The last two sentences say it all perfectly. As for the wild women, just make sure the one in question isn't sitting on the pillion seat because she just may be the death of you before you've got her back to the motel.
Great thread. Where the hell is Jules anyway? What did she do to get banned? I obviously missed a juicy misdemeanour.

Last edited by HenryM; 10-18-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Here's the link of the video...some of you may have already seen it, but look at how he just frozed? And it's not even a tight corner....he's just coming in too HOT & got frozen?

IDIOT CRASHES BRAND NEW MOTORCYCLE-EPIC FAIL - YouTube

but luck nothing was on the sides, just knee high grass.....

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Wow, I find it interesting that his "friends" or whoever was taking the video just watched and said that one word in the most relaxed tone. If I saw somebody going off I would have left the camera and started heading over there to help...

When my friend started telling my about motorcycles when I got it he told me about counter steering, I was thinking that was just weird and that I would never get used to that...turns out I've been riding mountain bikes since I was like 3 and have been doing it for years, obviously a motorcycle is a lot bigger, has an engine, and I will need to learn how to do the method correctly...but I just found it weird that I'd been doing it for years on my mountain bike and never noticed.

I'm going to try to take the first available BRC so I can start riding next spring/summer. Hopefully they'll teach me about this, if not my buddy is going to as well.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Red face

Dude was in trouble when he couldn't launch the bike. That looked like a 600 Yamaha and he stalled it three times getting going. Coming back he was way too fast and he just didn't know what to do. start slow, walk before you run all that comes to mind. I took a beginning rider MSF course after about thirty plus years of riding, drag racing a very short stint at road racing. A friend had just bought a 1000 Yamaha and was going, I needed to get my license so I figured why not? It was the best 100 bucks I ever spent on a bike.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:51 PM

This is a great thread, thanks to the OP and all the other contributors. I almost ran off the road the other day b/c I wasn't able to quickly and easily adjust my line through a turn. Thankfully I was able to slow down and make it, but it got my attention. I've taken the basic MSF course and although we went over the counter steering in the classroom and on the course it didn't really stick w/ me. Obviously I was doing it b/c I could make the bike turn, but being unaware of it I wasn't able to react and adjust quickly like you need to on the road. After reading through this thread and going out today and practicing both on the road and in an empty lot, I'm a lot more comfortable and able to make quick adjustments to my line. I think the only failing of my MSF course was that we weren't really able/allowed to move quick enough to really feel and see how the counter steering worked. All that's needed is a little free roam time in the lot to push and pull the bars at speeds of 20mph and up and it would've been a lot clearer to me.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Originally Posted by chambers
This is a great thread, thanks to the OP and all the other contributors. I almost ran off the road the other day b/c I wasn't able to quickly and easily adjust my line through a turn. Thankfully I was able to slow down and make it, but it got my attention. I've taken the basic MSF course and although we went over the counter steering in the classroom and on the course it didn't really stick w/ me. Obviously I was doing it b/c I could make the bike turn, but being unaware of it I wasn't able to react and adjust quickly like you need to on the road. After reading through this thread and going out today and practicing both on the road and in an empty lot, I'm a lot more comfortable and able to make quick adjustments to my line. I think the only failing of my MSF course was that we weren't really able/allowed to move quick enough to really feel and see how the counter steering worked. All that's needed is a little free roam time in the lot to push and pull the bars at speeds of 20mph and up and it would've been a lot clearer to me.
You should try to get into a BRC 2 (ERC) and see how that goes. You can also look around for other advanced rider training. In Utah, the Utah Sportbike Assn sponsors ART classes at Miller Motorsports Park. It is amazing what I learned from these classes.

Quick Reply: Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)