Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Your Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arai Helmet

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
sweet arai! what model and graphic is that? I wish I could buy an arai but they cost as much as my bike.
that is the Arai Quantum/F Okada replica.

I used to wear the Arai Quantum/F Raptor (Silver/Orange/Yellow) but after about 6 years, I purchased my Suomy. I still have the helmet, just never wear it and it is an XL. Previous owner through it in with bike.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my "Blue" Okada - they came in 3 variations.
Great helmet.
I recently bought one of those "Masei" helmets from China - I'm impressed with the fit - I suspect that some of the flimsy bits will fall off or be broken in time, but what can you expect from a $50 helmet.
As of now it performs very well, good ventilation, excellent visibility. Pic in my Avatar.

Attached Thumbnails Your Helmet-s1050755.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Here's my "Blue" Okada - they came in 3 variations.
Great helmet.
I recently bought one of those "Masei" helmets from China - I'm impressed with the fit - I suspect that some of the flimsy bits will fall off or be broken in time, but what can you expect from a $50 helmet.
As of now it performs very well, good ventilation, excellent visibility. Pic in my Avatar.
i like your arai! that blue shield is perfect. did you have a blue bike before?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM

For the car:

Bell GTX

For the bike:

Shoei Qwest Neuron

I really wanted an Arai but I simply couldn't get any of their models and variations to fit right. It would start creating pinch points after 5-10 minutes of wearing it and walking around the store. The Shoei fits me much better and I'm happy with it

Last edited by gtmotor; 10-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 PM

I just bought a used Pearl Black Arai Quantum F for $95, including shipping.

ARAI QUANTUM F Pearl Black Full Face Helmet XS | eBay

It should come in the mail soon and the store says I can return within 30 days for a full refund. I can't wait to try it but could I get your opinions on this old helmet?

1. I heard Arai comes in multiple shell sizes like oval and round. Is this true for the Quantum F?
2. I can't really find reviews on this helmet and less about it's popularity in it's heyday. Was it a decent Arai helmet?
3. I always liked how the Arai's fit but could never buy due to it's RIDICULOUS price :P So an Arai in excellent condition with an extra shield for less than $100 was a good deal for me. But I am wary due to the model year of this helmet, am I better of just buying a new helmet with better features?

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 PM

I have been wanting to custom paint mine to match the bike, but I have heard different stories about the legality of taking off the DOT paint. Does anyone know anything about painting helmets?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 I still have a blue bike..............
2 The quantum F is an excellent helmet. $100 for a good used one is fine.Just new cheekpads would cost you over $40 !
. The Quantum F Mk2 wasn't so good - I'm told the visor plates were a problem.
3 Yes Arai have (I think) 3 shell sizes.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 PM

thanks Shadow!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
But I am wary due to the model year of this helmet, am I better of just buying a new helmet with better features?

Thanks!
In my personal opinion, I wouldn't wear an older helmet. They age like anything else and there is a reason why race organizations only allow them to be used for a period of time. That's beside the fact that someone else had their sweaty noggin in there for who knows how long...

My old driving instructor always used to say: "Cheap helmet for a cheap head". It's your most vital area to protect so I wouldn't skimp on this piece of equipment.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gtmotor
In my personal opinion, I wouldn't wear an older helmet. They age like anything else and there is a reason why race organizations only allow them to be used for a period of time. That's beside the fact that someone else had their sweaty noggin in there for who knows how long...

My old driving instructor always used to say: "Cheap helmet for a cheap head". It's your most vital area to protect so I wouldn't skimp on this piece of equipment.
thanks for the advice and yeah if it ain't perfect then I'll just return her.

Quick Reply: Your Helmet