Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

What is your "go-to" gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your "go-to" gear

I thought it would be interesting to get an idea of what everyone wears and in what situations. I'll start things out:

I'm an all the gear, all the time rider so my go-to gear is always the same (though as a new rider I may have to change up a few things for winter when the temps go low).

707 helmet
Dainese Laguna seca perf. leather jacket
Dainese gauntlet gloves
Star kevlar reinforced riding jeans
EVS knee pads
A* S-MX 5 boots

This has worked well for me for recreational riding in the summer. I wouldn't want to get stuck in traffic in my jacket but so long as there is airflow it is wonderful. Air goes right through it even though it is leather.

The jeans are comfortable though I want to try a set of actual sport riding pants.

The knee pads are ok, I wish they were some other material on the inside since I have to wear them inside my jeans and they are a bit sticky.

The boots are awesome. I've done some mild hiking in them to some local swimming spots so they are definitely not for riding only.

So: what are your gear sets?

Last edited by iBang; 06-29-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shameless plug, but:
http://rokrider.blogspot.com/2010/06/riding-gear.html

I basically have two setups for riding. Although I have been wearing sneakers while commuting lately... :P

Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM

Nice blog! Made for a nice read through.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM

- Joe Rocket CBR leather jacket in cool weather, Joe Rocket textile jacket when it's warmer, or Buell Turbulent jacket when it's warm enough for perforated leather, but not too warm for black perforated leather

- Joe Rocket Alter Ego overpants, though they're a little much for hot weather even with the liners and vent panel removed and shorts underneath

- Teknic Violator waterproof boots, soon to be joined by a pair of Forma Dominator MX boots that were discounted enough to be worth buying just for the hell of it

- Scorpion Recon gloves when it's cold, comparatively crappy generic leather riding gauntlets when it's too warm for the Recons. I have a pair of CorTech Injectors on the way to replace them, they're on sale on newenough and a few other sites for $40 and seem like a nice glove for the price.

- And of course my helmet, HJC IS-Max (with an electric heated visor when necessary)

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Eye
Buell Turbulent jacket when it's warm enough for perforated leather, but not too warm for black perforated leather
I sure am glad I bought my white dainese jacket. I wasn't sure how much the white would help and the answer is a TON. If I've been moving for a while or in some A/C I can literally sit still in the direct sunlight and remain insulated and cool inside the jacket for a couple of minutes. Now put me in traffic for long enough and I'll heat up as bad as anything but it takes enough time that I can get away with it in 100 degree heat if I'm out for recreational riding.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm thinking of investing in some rain gear when I get back to the US. Twisties may be mostly out of the question, but I've found rain riding does have a certain appeal.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 AM

My go-to gear is my Joe rocket mesh jacket, Icon super duty gloves, and of course my Shoei kid. Definatley looking to upgrade my gear so any highly recommended stuf would be nice!
I was think maybe a pair of these

Last edited by DunnRR; 06-30-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 jackets , mesh (honda) , leather , textile (Atomic Rocket) , rain (Technic)
4 jeans .....all kevlar
2 sets boots
4 sets gloves
3 helmets

All mixed up for different weather scenarios

BUT DUNRR

GOT TO GET ME A PAIR OF THOSE MOTO SANDALS thanks Dude ......LOL

Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 PM

LOL, I almost pee'd myself when i saw those, but i can't figure out if there real or not! I was just browsing the internet and came acroos all these de-motivational posters and stuff like this, I was laughing histarically by myself and my girl though i was crazy (she didn't understand why some of them were funny). There should be a sticky for stupid pics like this!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM

My daily gear stays the same through out the year for the most part.

Scorpion EXO-400 helmet
Scorpion All In leather jacket
Alpinestar GP pro gloves
Joe Rocket pro street leather pants
Sidi Vertigo boots
First Gear laguna aero back pack

Quick Reply: What is your "go-to" gear