Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

What to look for in a riding jacket???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a riding jacket???

I am looking to buy my first riding jacket and I am not sure of what to look for. I would like something that is cool in the summer but can be warm for those chilly nights and mornings and perferable waterproof. I heard the mess jackets were a good way to go with the zip out liners.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Default RE: What to look for in a riding jacket???

Ya the mesh are nice in the summer because they are very breezy when you're moving... But they don't offer the same protection as leather or textile. Leather offers the best protection but is the most expensive and usually the hottest in the summer. You could look into the perforated leather jackets, haven't ridden with one myself but i hear they're pretty nice. Just make sure to buy an actual riding jacket, and not the lookalike jackets they sell at some leather stores.

If the bike dealerships are too expensive (usually are) you could check out www.newenough.com as one online store that usually has pretty good prices, or ebay, just make sure you try some jackets on at the dealership to get a feel for the size before you order.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 PM

What is the main difference between the mess and the textile jackets and is the price difference worth it???

Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Well the mesh are exactly that..they are material woven into a 'mesh' pattern for maximum airflow. Textiles are another synthetic material in a more solid form. I wore one (mesh) for a summer but don't wear it anymore unless i'm making a very short trip, because I just don't feel very confident in how it will protect me in a fall. Anything is better than nothing but leather is your best bet. Pricewise I think if I remember right (been a while since I've priced jackets) mesh and textile are priced pretty comparatively with most brands, and personally I would say if that's what you are deciding between go with the textile, almost all of them have vents that somewhat help (heat-wise) when you are moving.. However leather really does offer the best protection. But whatever you decide just remember any jacket is better than none, and always wear it because it is better to sweat than to bleed.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM

i don't think that mesh is as durable as textile. i have both a leather and textile & everyone knows leather is the best protection
but the weight difference and breathability between the both is unbelievable. i have the armor in both jackets and i prefer to wear the textile it is so much more comfortable and breaths SOOOO MUCH BETTER, with the leather you feel more protected (sort of like a turtle) which is both good and bad. when i wear my leather i feel more restricted in my movement which sometimes bothers me just because the leather is so thick especially with all the armor in it. it all comes down to personal choice try on a bunch and see how they feel, you may love the leather or the textile. but they are the more durable of the jackets IMO.
if you try some different jackets on and figure out what size you will need you can always look on e-bay for a used one, thats what i did and got a great deal..

Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 AM

Check the pads around the elbows and shoulders. Get a size that will fit you snug so the pads won't move around too much, in event of a fall. The same goes with the overall size of the jacket. It is your second skin and you want it to fit you as best as possible.

As far as material, leather is the best way to go. Pricier, but well worth the price. A leather jacket is not really as bad as everyone makes it to be in hot weather. Then again, "hot" is very subjective. One with full front perforation makes the air flow REALLY nice. My 1-pc suit with front perforation flows and breathes a LOT better than my jacket with multiple zipper vents. Textile is also a good alternative. They tend to breathe a little easier than leather (once again, depending on jacket, but generally, yes). I would stay away from mesh, just because the amount of protection they offer is minimal (my opinion). I've heard of stories in a fall where they melt due to the friction created during a slide.

Anyways, any gear is better than no gear. As already said, it's better to sweat than to bleed. And always dress for the crash, not the ride.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 AM

for a first jacket I would get leather...I wear mine up until it gets into the 90's and the 100% humidity I cant take it after that. I also have a mesh...which Is like riding in a tshirt...but it had padding in all the needed areas...plus it makes me look extremly buff with all that padding

if you want something cool during the day and a liner at night you might want a textile...most of them have zip out liners and they breath well.

I dont feel as protected with my mesh jacket, but I have saw people go down @ 60mph in mesh and not get any rash...the jacket is only good for 1 fall..but hopefully I never find out how well it works...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM

i have a CBR Mesh jacket its cool during the summer and has a liner inside for the chilly weather. It doesn't have the protection of a leather jacket but it still helps. You can look into Perforated leather jackets it'll keep you somewhat bit cooler.

I have one in my shop; on clearance.. i can take a picture of it later if you're interested.