Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Summer Gloves- Alpinestars 3/4 or Scorpion EXO SG2

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Summer Gloves- Alpinestars 3/4 or Scorpion EXO SG2

It's time to get a new set of warmer weather/summer gloves. I have a set of full gauntlet Teknic Chicanes I have been using since March (review is on this forum). They are great, but they don't have any ventilation at all, and the other day it was in the mid 80s and it gave me a taste of what the summer will be like.

I use my bike for commuting and weekend cruises. I want a 'longer' short cuff or 3/4 length glove. I want something that vents well, but offers good protection especially in the palm and knuckles area. I was considering the SMX-2 Air Carbon Alpinestars as well, but after reading on here how it did in a crash (or how it didn't) those are out of the running.

I am considering the following two gloves.

Alpinestars 3/4 glove
NewEnough says:
The 3/4 gloves are a lightweight warm weather street glove. Perforations on the sides of the fingers and the back of the hand should offer some cooling on warmer rides. The glove has a good comfortable feel, and is made primarily of leather on the back of the hand and synthetic suede on the palm. The back of the hand is protected by a molded knuckle protector. There is also padding along the backs of the fingers and double leather in the palm area. The cuff includes a Velcro strap at the wrist to keep the glove securely on your hand in the event of a fall.

Sportbiketrackgear reviewed it favorably as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaE0oEUucIg

Since I am really liking my Scorpion EXO Hat Trick Jacket, I saw this and it got me thinking... new for 2010

Scorpion EXO SG2 glove

It's too new for NewEnough to have anything about it on the site...
Scorpion themselves lists the following details:

Genuine goatskin leather.
Pre curved design.
Floating Knuckle.
Perforated leather panels.
Power stretch back panel.
Reflective piping.
TPR logo details.
Genuine goatskin leather.
Pre curved design.
Floating Knuckle.
Perforated leather panels.
Power stretch back panel.
Reflective piping.
TPR logo details.

Sportbiketrackgear also gave it a good review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87h5AC9K-BU

I'm leaning towards the EXO for the look of it.. I'd get either gray or black... but Alpinestars is synonymous with quality... Both are priced within $10 of each other..

Any experiences with either? Opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have alpine gloves, SMX-2 air carbon. They are the best gloves I have ever wore. Great protection. They breath great in the summer and still keep your hands pretty warm at night. I have had them for a season and a half, and no wear yet. Good quality stuff. Id get another pair.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the post that has swayed me away from them...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/alpinestars-s-mx-air-carbon-gloves-33628/

Check out #4 and the pics.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 PM

oh chit! well, concrete IS harder than leather especially traveling at a high rate of speed. may rethink my glove choice. I have had mesh in a low side before and I was worse off than him but also that is the 2007 model the 2009 that I have looks a litter sturdier but hey if you want GREAT protection go with a full gauntlet.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM

I had to make the same decision awhile ago and ended up going with the A* S1. It is a very protective 3/4 glove but I'm not too happy with how the wrist protection isnt really snug on the wrist. It makes it difficult to tuck into or pull over my leather jacket cuff. The other gloves I was pondering was the gpx and the spx. The spx has mesh for breathability but living in WA I'll hardl see over 80 so I went with the full leather s1 bu if I had to choose over again I would be the gpx. But if you're looking for 3/4 protection n ventilation try the spx.

Last edited by snakef4i; 05-29-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Official Welcome Crew

The SPX is a quality quality glove.. but the price is considerably higher at $100 I believe.. if money was no object, that would be what I would buy...

Im not saying Im putting a price on safety.. I want comparable safety just at a lower price point tough economic times here..

Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM

Glad I saw this thread. I just bought a pair of the SMX-2's but after seeing that thread I'm going to trade them in on something with some more protection!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scorpion makes nice gloves. My Recons are fantastic. Alpinestars also makes nice gloves but I've never bought any because they always seem way overpriced compared to the competition.