Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Spidi's Xpd XP-7 WRS boot experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spidi's Xpd XP-7 WRS boot experience

I bought a pair of these boots through a then-local-to-me dealer this past winter/spring. I now live and commute daily in the Phoenix area, and wear these boots every day, so I thought I'd write down what I think of them after a thousand miles or so (~70 miles/day here, plus any 'leisure' riding I might do).

I'm not going to try to describe detailed features of these boots, because RevZilla has done a great job filming them here:
YouTube - ‪Spidi XP7 WRS Boots Review at RevZilla.com‬‏
Or the manufacturer's product page is here:
XPD - motorcycle boots

My experience with these boots is, again, commuting. Specifically, commuting on the freeway, in temps up to 117F (so far; it'll start getting warm here any day now ).

How do they fit and work? I find the insole to be pretty flat, which is fine for riding, but less comfy than my New Balances for walking around. The sole is also a bit stiff for walking around, but nothing like the 3/8" leather soles in the MX boots I used to wear.

The zipper entry/exit system is quick and painless, and the calf adjustability is great. They fit true to size. I should wear a size 10 1/2 to 11 US according to the shoe sizers, and these Euro 45s (10 1/2 US) are the slightest touch short, just like they should be, although I find the foot bed a skosh wide. I also find the instep very 'roomy.' No problem for riding, but a very different feel from my old MX boots (super tight!). If I could ask for anything to be different, I'd ask for a way to tighten the instep and footbed. However, that would take away the airflow, so that would be counterproductive.

Ventilation is outstanding! Flexibility is good, though they're still supportive (again not as stiff as the concrete-like MX boots I was used to), and the boots are very light.

Now, I know that most of us look at m/c gear as being track-inspired, and that may be so. To me, though, I think that protective gear is possibly _more_ important in traffic.

To that end, one of the specific reasons I bought these boots is that they're CE certified. Not just a few CE bits tacked on, but the entire boot is certified to EN13634-02, Level 2. You can see the tag clearly in the RevZilla review at ~2:50, as I recall. That means this boot passes the highest testing standards for abrasion and cut resistance.

I'm very pleased with these XP-7 boots, and recommend them to anyone looking for a super-protective, extremely well-ventilated street boot.

Oh-- the white inner Lorica will discolor from rubbing on the aluminum rearset guards, but Lexol cleans it right up. That's another advantage of these boots; they're mostly Lorica (synthetic leather), so they don't need as much maintenance as leather.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really dig the way these boots look and that CE rating is definitely a huge plus, but they were just a bit out of my price range. D:

Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something I learned with my Dainese Quito Leather boots: If they're too comfortable to walk in (and the Quitos feel better than my Timberlands) you'll wear out the sole quick. So it's not much of a downside that they're not that great to walk in.

It'd suck to have another 2-3 years of life in the boot everywhere but the sole next year

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Something I learned with my Dainese Quito Leather boots: If they're too comfortable to walk in (and the Quitos feel better than my Timberlands) you'll wear out the sole quick. So it's not much of a downside that they're not that great to walk in.

It'd suck to have another 2-3 years of life in the boot everywhere but the sole next year
That _would_ kinda suck!

Raylee, I hear you on the price. These guys ain't cheap. I really liked that local shop where I bought them. They always did me VERY right on price, and were outstanding for service. They're almost 1,000 miles away now, though, so I expect my dealings with them will be ...limited going forward.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
That _would_ kinda suck!

Raylee, I hear you on the price. These guys ain't cheap. I really liked that local shop where I bought them. They always did me VERY right on price, and were outstanding for service. They're almost 1,000 miles away now, though, so I expect my dealings with them will be ...limited going forward.
Who? Revzilla? They're 5 miles away from me Which is why I'm over my budget for gear this year (and still have another $700 + tires to drop).

The Spidi's look nice. And I like the fact that they're very upfront about their CE rating. I picked up a pair of Dainese boots recently and their impact rating would be very murky... If they weren't Dainese

Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 PM
MZ5

Who? Revzilla? They're 5 miles away from me
No, a local Arctic Cat/Husqvarna shop called Sage Motorsports.
But yes, I do hate you for being so close to Revzilla.

The Spidi's look nice. And I like the fact that they're very upfront about their CE rating. I picked up a pair of Dainese boots recently and their impact rating would be very murky... If they weren't Dainese
You know, it's funny. I don't have a very high level of confidence in Dainese's protection (though their stuff is extremely nice-looking!), for two primary reasons:
1) Dainese (along with Alpinestars) is one of the 'majors' who have lobbied very vocally and persistently _against_ improving CE protection standards for m/c clothing, saying how difficult and expensive it is to meet even the current ones.

2) The only actual force transmission levels I've ever seen for Dainese's impact protectors show them to just _barely_ meet the requirement.

Does Dainese include a card with their clothing that lists the exact force transmission level of all their protectors, the way my Spidi Hurricane (pretty low level to middle-of-the-road) pants do? Asking 'cause I don't know, but would love to see it if they do!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
No, a local Arctic Cat/Husqvarna shop called Sage Motorsports.
But yes, I do hate you for being so close to Revzilla.

You know, it's funny. I don't have a very high level of confidence in Dainese's protection (though their stuff is extremely nice-looking!), for two primary reasons:
1) Dainese (along with Alpinestars) is one of the 'majors' who have lobbied very vocally and persistently _against_ improving CE protection standards for m/c clothing, saying how difficult and expensive it is to meet even the current ones.

2) The only actual force transmission levels I've ever seen for Dainese's impact protectors show them to just _barely_ meet the requirement.

Does Dainese include a card with their clothing that lists the exact force transmission level of all their protectors, the way my Spidi Hurricane (pretty low level to middle-of-the-road) pants do? Asking 'cause I don't know, but would love to see it if they do!
No, they don't. My confidence in Dainese comes from their racers and the crashes they've "tested" their gear in. Like Rossi last year (waiting for the US release of the D-Air system)

Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM
MZ5

Sure, I hear ya. That was a factor in why I chose my Komodo jacket. Still, one has to wonder:
How much better shape would Rossi be in had Dainese given him more than the bare minimum required protection?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by MZ5
How much better shape would Rossi be in had Dainese given him more than the bare minimum required protection?
While brands do trickle down technology and features they use in their professional grade equipment, I'm sure that the protection in Rossi's suit is still a ways ahead from what is found in off the shelf models.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
While brands do trickle down technology and features they use in their professional grade equipment, I'm sure that the protection in Rossi's suit is still a ways ahead from what is found in off the shelf models.
Rossi was wearing the new air bag suit. Which is prolly why he didn't break anything on his upper body on the high side he took

how would they impact test an air bag anyways?

Quick Reply: Spidi's Xpd XP-7 WRS boot experience