Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

SixSixOne Shin Guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SixSixOne Shin Guards

I've had the SixSixOne Moto Knee/Shin guards for about two months now and I used to think it was uncomfortable under my jeans until one of my buddies [buddy #2] took a spill last week. Actually, I could go off on another tangent and say the bike (Gixxer 1K) is cursed since my buddy bought it off anotherbuddy [buddy #1] (I havequite a few buddies )who'd laid down the bike barely a week earlier. It's a nice bike...had 3K miles on it, so my buddy bought it for a song. Last week, buddy #2 swiped a car's rear bumper at 40 mph while attempting to maneuver around the vehicle that had suddenly stopped. Bike is totalled and buddy #2 suffered a compound fracture [bone sticks out the skin] to his shin--shattered it completely. He can joke about it now, but I'll have to say that when I visited him at the hospital, it ranked up there with one of the sickest injuries I've ever seen...and that's counting thesoldier I saw that was missing half his face in the Baghdad ER. Not wanting to add insult to injury, I didn't say anything about the conversation buddy #2 and I had had a few days earlier when he saw me putting on my shin gear before leaving work. He asked if it was uncomfortable and I told him it takesa bit of getting used to and I only bought it to test it out for my cousin. I have to think that had he worn shin guards, maybe his injuries would have been limited to light orsevere bruising as opposed to having reconstructive surgery on his shin.

Needless to say, I'm glad I got the SixSixOne Moto knee/shin guards and I'm sure it'll be a hot topic at our next safety briefing with the 101 Critical Days of Summer just around the corner.

Cheers!

~Steph

Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SixSixOne Shin Guards

Sorry to hear about buddy #1 & buddy#2; my wishes for a full and fast recovery on both counts. All I can say is the gear works, my hands are in good condition(rest of my body, fair)but they did do their job (as did the helmet,jacket, and boots...with the scars to prove it). We all like to believe "it won't happen to us" (I did too...), but it is the bestinsurance(if youwant to call it that) available, in an inperfect world.I have been told by my friends that I am the "safest" rider they ride with (signals: stuff in road, happening in front, slow down,uses mirrors to be sure where others are/what is around me..,), and they weretotaly suprisedwhen they heard about my "accident"(not my fault),I hope when/if I talk to them about gear they will take it a little bit more serious than before. I really "cringe" when I seea guy/gal riding in shorts and a tee shirt, it never used to affect me "before".

Gear is not uncomfortable, it is just safe. (No, I'm not a "safety" nut, just my .02).

Thanx, Bill.