Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Sick of my ride pants: FirstGear Textile Overpants

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of my ride pants: FirstGear Textile Overpants

I have the FirstGear ride overpants, and they're starting to **** me off. They have no external pockets, except one really tight-opening velcro'd ******-humper on the right aft, they're goofy-long, the knee-pads still sit miles low unless I'm scrunched into a full tuck (will have to remember to stay like that if I go down, LOL) and they have The Slidy-*** condition of knee-and-butt slickness that has me ball-racking the tank every 5 seconds.

I rode with jeans around the block yesterday and couldn't believe how much more control I had over the bike due to me actually sticking to the friggin' saddle.

I want new ride over-pants that prevent against Slidy-*** and which have knee pads which will actually work.

What do you recommend?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you wearing overpants for a specific rrason? Like your job requires business attire?

Me, I wear these

+ these

Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Are you wearing overpants for a specific rrason? Like your job requires business attire?

Me, I wear these

+ these

To some extent. I am a 48-year-old Master's (Geology) student and I teach in public schools and at the University. I just can't wear something that screams "I'M TRYING TO BE 20 TO FIX MY MIDLIFE CRISIS!!!" too loudly, or nobody will take me seriously or hire me.

I don't dance in public, either. It isn't dignified for a man of my age and station.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM

im in the military and i wear uniform to work. i find for the days i need a bit of extra protection from the weather or what have you, just plan ahead and get to work sooner so you can change at work.
for overpants, joe rocket makes a really nice one, and there is a giant mesh part built in for hot days that lets lots of air through without loosing too much safety. you can also get them with liner for colder days.
or if you MUST, you can get a set of padded jeans, they are your cheapest way to go, mix that up with either a pack system or even a backpack and your set. plan to get to work 10-15 min sooner, you can enjoy your ride, be safe, and when you get to work change into what ever you need.
i wear can-am pants and joe rocket jacket to work, and takes me no more than 10 min to change into uniform when i'm at work.
i stay safe and still meet the dress code for work.