Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Safest Helmet out here

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Safest Helmet out here

ORIGINAL: N8 Dawg
people have different shaped heads too, so one helmet might fight one guy perfect and might be horrible for the next
A sentiment that I've echoed numerous times, and you are sooooo right. More people need to read, and repeat this prior to going out and trying them on.

Buying online is fine if you are absolutely sure that you are getting the best possible fit (trying them on in person).

Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys need to try out OGK. The FF5 is just absolutely fantastic.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Pug

I tried the Arai's and did not like the fit, the Shoei X-11 was really nice and fit my head well. End the end though I went with what I felt was the best made helmet for my money and that was the Shark brand RSR2. Very comfortable, and the fit and finish are incredible. And like it has been mentioned in an earlier reply you have to try them on in person. I wore mine around the dealership for about 45 minutes while I looked at bikes and other gear. You must also be sure to get one that fits correctly and will still fit well after it gets broken in so to speak to your heads shape. Just my 2 cents. Bottom line is just wear one.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 AM

I wanted the Shark in the worst way, but it didn't fit my head at all.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Pug

I was the same way with the Arai's, wanted one really badly. But it did not fit the my head very well.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 AM

I quit buying Arai after the second time the side pod cover broke and it cost me 35 bucks to fix it...again. I hate the way the visor mounts and pivots.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 PM

http://www.arkriders.com/gallery/v/R1+Dan/face.jpg.html

It may not seem by the looks of my mug but considering what damage I took Brain Hematoma,Scull Fracture, broke eye socket and nasan cavity I hightly reccomend a high end KBC. I have Arai and Shoie but love the KBC. Long story and lucky to be alive.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM

I've written about this before, but here goes again. There are two schools of thought on what helmets are the safest. The predominant one, as evidenced in the previous responses, is that high end Snell rated helmets (your Shoeis, Arais, HBCs etc.) are the best protection for your noggin. The less known school, however, says to avoid these helmets and anything else with a Snell label on it. The reasons for this were detailed a few years ago in an article in Motorcyclist Magazine and the article (along with Snells response to their conclusions) can be found at http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html . It is a very long piece but well worth a read since it turns conventional thinking on its head. They also pissed off some of the helmet manufacturers enough that they supposedly lost a couple of hundred thousand dollars in ad revenue after it was published.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM

I thought my first helmet fit me well (HJC).. Then after getting used to my Shark RSX the HJC fit feels terrible for me.

Nothing against HJC though, hit my head on one in a wreck and walked away. In fact whenever I'm talking to a new rider who doesn't have a whole lot of money for a helmet I recommend taking a look at the HJC's, imo they are good protection for (some models) less than $100.