Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Riding Pants For Winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Pants For Winter

I was looking for some winter gear. I gave back the licence plate of my car and my bike is all I have this year. Which I don't complain

Some people recomended thermal pants. Thermals worked for fall but I don't think they will be strong enough to keep me warm in winter since I can't keep my knees warm enough when I ride early in the mornings and late at nights. I am looking for some protection.

OK, here is the pants I was looking at: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...5.0-Pants.aspx

Any of you has those pants? What would be your suggestions for knee protection? Right now all I have is my thermal pants and I wear my jeans over them. And yes, my knees start freezing after 5 miles ride. This is my first winter I am going to spend on a bike so I appreciate anything you have to say. My budget is another problem so I want to buy something that is good and that I can use for a long time.

Thanx in advance!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding Pants For Winter

I wear coldgear and/or jeans under my leather pants.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Does anyone just wear jeans for riding? Being on a budget would a nice pair of double knee stiched Carharts due?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 PM

One thing for sure, Make sure they are left or right legged The fit will be all wrong

Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM

I have a similar pair of rocket pants and they keep me fairly warm even in sub 40 degree nights with jeans and long socks underneath.....the only problem I have is they are boot cut and I wear tennis shoes (I know I'm bad i should wear a pair of full leg legth boots with 6 layers of leather and molded protection) thus they let in a good amount of cold air around my ancles which I counter with long thick socks.

Those full length zippers should be very conveient too...I have to take my shoes off to put my pants on.

I say go for it.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Non-perforated leather is best. Meaning the leather is not swiss cheesed.
Like these from Joe Rocket.

Just put on a pair of long johns, (thermal under-pants), and you'll stay warm for at least 75 mile stretches on even reall cold days.

Supermoto Pant Click For Larger Image
Men's Sport Textile/Leather Pant[*]1.2mm to 1.4mm Cowhide[*]Dual density armor in knees[*]High density padding on hips and tailbone[*]Beveled knee sliders[*]Free-air™ poly/mesh panels[*]Free-air™ perforated ventilation system[*]Stretch panels on knees and back[*]Pre-curved legs[*]360° zipper for jacket attachment[*]Fits Supermoto jacket. For best fit select a pant that is 8" or 10" smaller than jacket. Size 44 jacket fits size 34 or 36 pant

Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Those leather pants are also nice. I am looking for something to wear over my jeans when I am riding to work. But I need those supermoto pants for weekends riding at mountains.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: QuickNDeadly

Those leather pants are also nice. I am looking for something to wear over my jeans when I am riding to work. But I need those supermoto pants for weekends riding at mountains.
Well then, I can only go by personal experience.

I bought some Joe Rocket Ballistics, before I knew better on what was "serious" gear and what wasn't.

They are relativey cheap, roomy enough to fit over jeans, slacks, what have you, and your legs will be sweating like it's raining within
30 minutes even on a cold day. These things do not breathe at all. Some of the hottest pants around...no sh*ting.

Mine spend most of their time on a hanger, as I wear either jeans or the full leather pants above to work.

(Casual office no professional, suit and tie for public assembly BS needed.)

Old 12-26-2007, 12:48 AM

i live in ohio so we have a limited ride season if ya dont like the cold. i use a pair of first gear ht over pants. they are sized to fit over jeans, they have a removable liner for when it is not to cold. and they hold out rain for 30 miles i ride into work. they have ok armor for light riding or commuting. great value, i have had mine fr over 30000 miles of ride time still look great. think i paid around 180 for them. the jr are ok but the liner does not come out on some of they textile pants? thats why i got the first gear ones. i also use them with the liners in to snowblow my drive. great ski pants also. with the liners out they are good for mild to cool weather. hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:03 PM

I ride well into the teens with a pair of Carhart insulated coveralls over whatever jeans I am wearing. If it gets below 20 I try to just use carharts as my underjeans as well. If you make sure that the inner jeans are a tad long they will stay in place and keep the wind from drafting up your legs. Coveralls and jeans $130. Also make sure you get a neck gaitor, most online stores don't make them easy to find on their sites, but a windproof/waterproof one will save your life. I got a Comfort in Action Bike Pit neck gaitor and in retrospect if I didn't wear glasses I would have gotten the one that goes completely over your head. By far the best 30-40 bucks you'll spend on winter gear.

Quick Reply: Riding Pants For Winter