Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

One more gear question - faceshield dark vs light smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default One more gear question - faceshield dark vs light smoke

I'm lookin at getting a tinted shield for my HJC CL-SP.. they have both dark and light smoke tint... I do nearly all of my riding during the daytime... but I'm thinking for some crazy reason I might be out at dusk....

is there a big difference between the dark and light smoke? Anyone have pics of either? Is one recommended more than the other? I went out to the beach with a buddy later in the day today... the sun was pretty damn strong... I figure a tinted visor shield would do a lot to help cut it out...

Thanks,
Adam

Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tinted shields can help a lot. Having to change shields can be a chore sometimes...especially if you're going to be transitioning from daylight to dark. One option for you is a mirrored shield. The mirrored shield is basically light-smoke but since its mirrored, it tends to reflect away harsh sun rays quite well. So you're getting more light in but it doesn't seem as harsh. Obviously, a clear shield after dark is best for visability but a light-smoke or mirrored-shield is still doable after daylight is gone.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro in my opinion dont wear a tinted shield after dark. I have a dark tinted one that came with the bike and couldnt see $hit. I like the way it looked so I bought a light tinted one it was better but I still had to bring my clear at night since thats when I do most of my riding. I just said forget it all together and sold the tinted ones. But like I said I do alot of freeway riding at night plus the few times a week I hit the closed park so its just impractical for me. But they are the $hit in the daytime especially when that ugly girl pulls up next you !!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say if your going with a tinted shield then go dark, no pu55y footin there. I just recently rode at nite in the mountains with trees over hanging the road with no head light and a dark tinted shield. I do not recommend it. But I was still able to see.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 AM

wear sun glasses and get a clear face shield. or a light tinted wind screen.
my .02

Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM

i may be older than most of you but i cannot remember having a helmet with a light smoke or clear faceshield on it. when i get a new helmet i order a dark smoke shield for it too.i got an hjc ac3 helmet from a friend that had a mirrored shield on it, wasn't bad but still too light for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turbulenz - I've got an HJC AC12 with clear and light smoke shields - they seem to do fine for me. The HJC mechanism for removing/replacing is very easy to use, at least on my lid, and I can swap out ina matter of seconds.

That being said - I fell in love with a new brain case last week @ my local shop - Scorpion Exo-1000. Clear shield, and your choice of tinted drop-down inner visors. Plus the chin and cheek padding are built around a system like the Reebok Pump shoes - inflate til it fits right. I'm scraping together the coin now for one.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 PM

If you like HJC helmets. I just recently bought the IS-16. It has the inner flip down shield. The helmet is extremely light, well ballanced and pretty quiet. It also has removable liners, lockable shield, and awesome cooling. It actually has a lot of high dollar features without the high dollar price. I got mine on ebay for 150 shipped.

Its worth checking out. I have an Arai, and I wear the IS16 more often than the Arai, especially if I know I will be out after dark.

As for the light tint or dark tint arguement. I really hate dark tint visors. They are great for day time, but you can't see anything at night. the only place you can make anything out is directly in your headlights, and even then its just shadows. Its extremely hard to make anything out.

Having said that. If you do most of your driving in the day, you can always carry a set of clear saftey glasses for night riding. Just flip up your visor and wear the glasses. goofy looking, but effective.

Another thing to keep in mind too is that a dark tinted visor will reduce your visibility during overcast days as well. If the sun is not shining, a dark tinted visor is a pina.

Also, keep in mind. A lot of places its illegal to wear a tinted visor at night.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-18-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 PM

I wear dark tint at the track since it is daylight only, and lite smoke on the street helmet, day or night. I also live out in the country, so lots of street time with no streetlights.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hate dark tint visors. They are great for day time, but you can't see anything at night. the only place you can make anything out is directly in your headlights, and even then its just shadows. Its extremely hard to make anything out.
I agree. I'm not big into swapping visors just so I can see safely when night falls, either. I don't have that big of a problem with the clear visors and sun, but i've been looking at the light smoke ones.

Quick Reply: One more gear question - faceshield dark vs light smoke