Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

newbie needs gear advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needs gear advice

I am going to be getting a bike very soon (hopefully this weekend) and want to make sure that I have all the essential protective gear to go with it! completely new to the riding on the street so I thought I would ask what I should make sure to get. Also if you suggest certain brands/types to get or stay away from I would appreciate that as well.

list of gear that I have picked out:

Helmet (shoei TZ-R)
jacket (Joe Rocket atomic)
Gloves (frank thomas pro spectre)

I had not intended on getting boots but after looking @ other post about gear seems as I need to pick some out. Any suggestions?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: newbie needs gear advice

any one??

Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 PM

You should wear gloves, jacket, and helmet...and jeans...A perferated (has holes for air to get thru) leather jacket would prob be the best b/c u will be safe (leather) and not overheat (perferation). Gloves...Held are the best but they're really expensive. As far as helmets go, I would've said Arai or Shoei but after i read this www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review I'm not sure anymore. Go look for gear reviews online and see what consumers think of the different products. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM

What kind of riding do you intend to do?

All street? Track Days? Commuting?

A good all around boot is the Alpinestar SMX series.

Inexpensive, (relatively at $180-$220) and good enough for street, track or entry level race.

I got mine from New Enough.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

Inexpensive, (relatively at $180-$220) and good enough for street, track or entry level race.

I wouldn't get boots just yetunless you're going to the track. I do agree that NewEnough.com does have good prices and cust svc tho.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 2QK4U2C

I wouldn't get boots just yetunless you're going to the track. I do agree that NewEnough.com does have good prices and cust svc tho.
I've been to the track. Going again on the 13th...then going again on Oct. 15th.

Went ahead and got the boots.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: 2QK4U2C

I've been to the track. Going again on the 13th...then going again on Oct. 15th.

Went ahead and got the boots.
I don't mean for you...i mean for johnny savage...

Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 PM

I don't mean for you...i mean for johnny savage...
I thought that's what you meant, but on the internet, you have to make sure, you never know what people really mean, or you say something, someone takes it the wrong way, and then it's all out mayhem.

It's getting to the point where instead of ethernet, cable, and PC, I'm going to start occupying ALL of my free time with that old fashioned thing they
call REAL LIFE.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM

I am going to be doing mostly street and a bit of commute riding. For now I do not intend on track days. So to have good street/commuting protection do you think it is necessary to get a set of boots? what about jacket I had planned on the ballistics do you think that is enough or do you guys reccomend leather?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: johnny savage

I am going to be doing mostly street and a bit of commute riding. For now I do not intend on track days. So to have good street/commuting protection do you think it is necessary to get a set of boots? what about jacket I had planned on the ballistics do you think that is enough or do you guys reccomend leather?
Tennis shoes, work boots, cowboy boots, all will wear out very quickly when riding a bike.

As you slow down for a stop sign, light, child in the road, you begin to put your foot, (feet if you are the unbalanced nervous type),
and even though you are slowing, the bottoms and sometimes the toes of your footwear still hit the pavemet at 2-10 mph.

This is akin to draggin your shoes behind your car on a string in the long run.

Boots made for riding have thicker soles, upturned slightly toes, and wear much slower than the above.

Very much worth the cost and added protection

Quick Reply: newbie needs gear advice