Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

New Rider, Looking to complete gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider, Looking to complete gear.

I already have:
Helmet
Bell Revolver
Jacket
Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0

I need boots, gloves, pants.
for gloves...
I'm looking at
shift bullet
Shift Stealth
Not sure if the full gloves will fit over my jacket cuffs.

for shoes.
Icon Superduty
Alpinestars-S-MX-5-Boots
I would like a boot that offers as much protection as possible. but was wondering if the Icon boots would be good to have on a commute to work. I'm not sold on the alpine stars yet but know I want a full boot.

for pants
Cortech-DSX-Denim-Pants

I want a kevlar denim that has pads but I'm not sure if I should use kevlar jeans with a full boot. Never done this before.

I'm not going to the track just street riding. Haven't found any decent textile pants yet and motorcycle class starts in a couple of months so I'm a little overwhelmed and need guidance.

bought my 2000 CBR600F4 on oct and cant wait to ride.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM

try looking online for some stuff, i went on kijiji for my gloves and i managed to pick up leather with carbon fiber knuckles for $60.. guy even drove me home too haha

Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you ever have thought about wear some field armor boxers...(under pants) make sure to buy your kevlar denim 2 size up. Street riding likely you'll be more comfortable in Jean...icon strong-arm, hooligan, super duty makes great denim riding pants. But for that extra protective, I also was the icon field armor underpants underneath...so if your jeans give way...you'll have an extra layer protection underneath.

Boots...don't get too bulky, you may need to adjust your shift lever to adapt with boot. sidi & Gaerne makes great boots. If you buy expensive boots, make sure you don't have a habit of dragging you toes...many new riders do that (I'm not saying you're new to bikes) just want to be sure. Beginners will wear out any boot faster because they'll use their feet much more...just make sure you lost the dragging toe habit before buying $400 boots...lol..

Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM

I rock the Icon superduty 4s, love them great for commuting if you have to wear/walk them all day. wheat/light brown will get dirty super quick..However they provide nowhere near the protection of the a*.

any reason you need* a modular helmet(glasses)? they tend to be heavier and louder in general to other helmets. I am not saying you need a super light helmet however it definitely makes a difference if you go riding for more than an hour.

Last edited by tucsondude; 02-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisb319
...I'm not going to the track just street riding. Haven't found any decent textile pants yet and motorcycle class starts in a couple of months so I'm a little overwhelmed and need guidance.

bought my 2000 CBR600F4 on oct and cant wait to ride.
The important thing is - that you have gear. Don't over think it. If you can, go to dif shops & try on dif brands/types of gear. You'll find what you like. Mainly, get the gear as soon as possible & get it broken in b/f your class. You want to be focused on the class, not the gear, while you're taking it. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 PM

tucsondude,

my concern was if I was coming underneath a bridge momentarily or if I was riding at dusk. I would have a quick way to retract the sunglasses rather then pull over take my sunglasses off and such...I thought it could come in handy. I wish it was lighter but it was lighter than the other helmets I looked at. Plus I liked the idea of the modular face shield. If I ever get pulled over I don't have to take the helmet off.

gotcbr,

I'll start painting the town red then

Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM

The alpinstars are good boots, I've got the waterproof version. Shift makes good gear, I just got some of their leathers a little while ago on closeout, Those leather gloves would be a good choice just check reviews online to get the right size? For pants I went w/ first gear overpants which have an inside layer you can remove, they fit over your pants and aren't too bad to get on and off. I thought about the kevlar jeans but ended up just getting leathers and using the overpants for commuting or colder weather.