Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Kangaroo vs. Cow Leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kangaroo vs. Cow Leather

Well, after riding around on the streets with my Draggin' Jeans and Teknic Textile Jacket, I've decided I want to try and up my game a bit so I'm a bit more track-ready. I've been trying to find a two-piece suit that fits my needs/budget (as well as my.. erm.. robut figure), but have come up short on answers. The suit I'm currently eyeing is a "last year model" Berik leather suit. It's actually not that expensive as far as a good quality suit goes and has plenty of perforation and air-hole mesh in the right places. However, it's made of cow-hide.

I know most, if not all, A* suits are made from Kangaroo and from what I hear about gloves, kangaroo is where it's at. My main problem is that I sweat a lot and that sweat can pretty much ruin cow hide gloves, making them crunchy and ruining their ability to stay together in the case of a crash. My plan is to put a bit of money into a suit so that I can wear it pretty much forever until I crash and it's no longer good and I don't want it ruined just because of my glandular problem.

Anyone have any input?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had several A* suits and know several folks with them, I've never seen one made of kangaroo. Their high-end gloves have roo palms, but they list all their suits as plain leather. Could be roo, but I'd think they'd list it.

Several manufacturers do make kangaroo suits if that's what you want.

Wear an undergarment, let it soak up the sweat, and clean and treat the leathers after each use, they'll be fine.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Well, I remember watching this pre-motogp race show where they had a A* rep showing off their latest gear and the rep said that they use kangaroo leather in their suits. Maybe just for the race team leathers. :P

Anyways, I just want to make sure cow leathers can stand up to at least 3-4 seasons of sweat drenched riding before I make a decision in buying one. I've got a set of A* cow leather gloves and after just one season of chronic sweaty palm syndrome, they've starts to feel really stiff.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
Well, I remember watching this pre-motogp race show where they had a A* rep showing off their latest gear and the rep said that they use kangaroo leather in their suits. Maybe just for the race team leathers. :P
Probably true. Race teams, even the replica suits aren't near what those guys get. Big bucks, too.

Anyways, I just want to make sure cow leathers can stand up to at least 3-4 seasons of sweat drenched riding before I make a decision in buying one. I've got a set of A* cow leather gloves and after just one season of chronic sweaty palm syndrome, they've starts to feel really stiff.
I rub my gloves and suit down with leather conditioner after each weekend. Ran around 25 trackdays last season and 8 race weekends. Still looking good, no issues, still supple. They're both RevIt.

Here's something I just found that I didn't know. It's illegal to import or sell items made with kangaroo in California. A* is in California....

Last edited by randyjoy; 03-02-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently use a Spidi NRG suit, which is cowhide. The Spidi GP suits are kangaroo. I love the NRG. It fits like a glove (true to size). Required basically no break-in whatsoever. I wear it at the track & on wknd twisty rides, which are pretty much all day long. Spidi makes a two-pc version as well. There are many other fine brand options out there.

To address your sweating issue & concern...
I've done my fair share of sweating in this suit & its no worse the wear. I wipe it down but don't do anything special beyond that. Remember, a good quality suit is designed to be used. It should last thru the rigors of track or all-day twisty rides - sweat, rain, road-grime, whatever. I wear UA under my suit, which keeps the sweat from lingering like a cotton tshirt, etc, would do...works great. Too, when I'm done w/ the suit for the day, I hang it up to dry properly.

As for budget concerns...
Really, I can't see spending the extra money (a lot) to buy a kangaroo leather suit. Cowhide will work just fine. I recommend taking the extra money you'd spend on kangaroo & apply it toward other gear, bike improvements, or track costs.

Think about how you'll use your suit the most. If you're going to do a lot of trackdays or track events, a one-pc suit might be the way to go. However, if you're going to be doing twisty rides close to home, trips, short wknd rides, ...a two-pc suit may be a better idea. Whatever best suits your utility. Since you seem to be leaning toward a two-pc suit, it may help you out initially w/ sizing...b/c you can buy separate sizes for pants & jacket.

Hope this helps some.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your top racers like in MotoGP wear roo suits. Average cost of those are around $3k

roo isnt necessarily better, but it is thinner n lighter than cow.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Think about how you'll use your suit the most. If you're going to do a lot of trackdays or track events, a one-pc suit might be the way to go. However, if you're going to be doing twisty rides close to home, trips, short wknd rides, ...a two-pc suit may be a better idea. Whatever best suits your utility. Since you seem to be leaning toward a two-pc suit, it may help you out initially w/ sizing...b/c you can buy separate sizes for pants & jacket.
Well, the only reason I'd want a two-piece is for the versatility of being able to unzip the top and cool off between sessions. Does the one piece really make that much more of a difference when it comes to protection? The two-pieces I'm looking for have the 270 degree zipper that goes almost all the way around. Although I can't afford it right now (most people I've talked to go through half-full tread of tire in one track day), I do plan on spending as much time as possible when I can on a track once I can afford a new set of tires for every other weekend.

I've decided a kangroo suit might be shooting a bit far, so you've helped me in that regard, but now I'm contemplating a one-piece... setting me back close to square one as far as finding a suit. :P

Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the only reason I'd want a two-piece is for the versatility of being able to unzip the top and cool off between sessions. Does the one piece really make that much more of a difference when it comes to protection? The two-pieces I'm looking for have the 270 degree zipper that goes almost all the way around. Although I can't afford it right now (most people I've talked to go through half-full tread of tire in one track day), I do plan on spending as much time as possible when I can on a track once I can afford a new set of tires for every other weekend.

I've decided a kangroo suit might be shooting a bit far, so you've helped me in that regard, but now I'm contemplating a one-piece... setting me back close to square one as far as finding a suit. :P
unless you plan to race or be a track ***** a 2pc will do just fine!!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Not related at all,but sorry: In the late 80;s a few young guys @ local bike shop were into track racing,as the big card feutured Mick Doohan on the Marlboro Yam Team.
The owner of the shop lost 4 fingers that weekend racing in the 250;s,but the upside of those days 20 years ago,was Bayliss,Corser were all in the shop as young blood,eager to kick ****..........

Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Btwn sessions, I unzip the top of my suit & let it hang down. Makes it pretty easy to cool off.

"Does the one piece really make that much more of a difference when it comes to protection?" Well, for serious tracking, a one-pc suit would be preferred...BUT...for the occasional trackday & twisty rides, a two-pc suit will work just fine.

Put it this way, you'll probably eventually end up owning both if you're a serious motorcyclist/hobbiest. ;-D For track, I always wear a one-pc suit. However, for wknd twisty rides & fun riding, I like the versitality that the two-pc provides...you can just take your jacket off & relax. For you, for now, a two-pc may be the best way to go to get the utility you need since you can only afford one. This way, you'll have track & street protection. In your spot, I'd prob go w/ the two-pc initially...then move up to a one-pc later for the track.

As for tires...
YES, you'll spend bucks for tires if you make it a *regular* habit to go to the track. There's no way around that. At most trackdays, there's usually a tire company there selling new tires at discounted prices & take-offs too. Prices will usually be better than any tire store. But yep, going to the track a lot, tires can put ya in the poorhouse really quickly! ;-)

I'll tell ya one thing... Once you start going to the track, you'll get hooked! :-D

Quick Reply: Kangaroo vs. Cow Leather