Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Jeez...that hurt...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeez...that hurt...

Since I am becoming somewhat addicted to this Track Day thing...(after only one hit)...I went and ordered all new stuff.

Too much money for clothes imo...but should last awhile. Least the length of my Track Day career...
Joe Rocket Supermoto Leather Jacket

* 1.2mm to 1.4mm Cowhide

* Removable dual density armor for elbows, shoulders and spine

* Molded external shoulder and elbow protectors

* Free-air perforated ventilation system

* Molded shoulder vents

* Free-air poly/mesh sleeve panels

* Sure Fit adjustable waistband

* 360° zipper for pant attachment

Black/Black/Silver/White

Joe Rocket Speedmaster Leather Sport Pants

* 1.4 mm cowhide construction

* GP type body armor in knees, memory foam armor in the hips

* Keprotec crotch panel

* Stretch fabric insert behind knee and extending down behind calf

* Both full circumference zipper and short rear zipper for attachment to JR jackets

* Knee sliders included (these are the nicer beveled "ceramic" type)

Black Perforated

Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 Gloves

* Drum dyed leather and span/poly top

* High density knuckle protector

* High density padding on fingers

* Double leather wrap around palm

Black/Red/Gun

Scorpion EXO-700 Crack Head Helmet

* Fiberglass/Kevlar Matrix Shell: quiet, aero-tuned design for wind-tunnel tested comfort; EPS-lined chin bar for additional protection

* SpeedShift quick-change shield system (patent pending): easy, secure tool-less faceshield changes in ten seconds or less

* EverClear no-fog faceshield: optically-correct shield with state-of-the art fog-free technology and anti-scratch hardened coating

* KwikWick moisture-wicking helmet liner and cheek pads: breathable, easily removable and washable

* Ventilation system: adjustable, indexed front and rear vents with aero-tuned rear spoiler reduce lift, create vacuum and maximize airflow through helmet

* Breath-deflector: enhanced fog-free performance

* Custom liner and cheek pad kits: available in hot colors and wild patterns

* Snell/DOT Certified

Black/Red/White

Alpinestars S-MX 4 Boots

* Boot is a hybrid of high performance race technology and everyday street riding functionality

* Wide-fitting foot shape design for maximum comfort

* Durable microfiber and injected PU construction guard shields the shin, ankle, calf, toe and heel from impacts

* Innovative air vents at the shin, calf, heel and forefoot are covered with specially designed mesh that has a waterproof membrane that lets the foot breathe in warm weather while keeping moisture out

* Large instep and Achilles flex zones for superior comfort

* Quick-drying polyamide lining is laminated with open-cell foam and high-density contoured padding to absorb shocks to the foot area

* Extra-wide hook-and-loop flap, combined with offset rear opening system that features an elastic-mounted zipper, results in a precise, comfortable fit

* Anatomical, removable PU foam footbed is vented to keep the rider’s foot cool and comfortable

* Interchangeable bi-injected PU toe sliders snap into place

* Dual rubber compound race sole provides a precise feel and improved grip on the foot pegs

* Exclusive sole design features a structured shank reinforcement for added support to the arch area

Black/Red

Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Default RE: Jeez...that hurt...

Did you not have any of this stuff before? Or is this track day only gear?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

Did you not have any of this stuff before? Or is this track day only gear?
This is Track Day gear. Usually I ride in a pair of jeans or my Joe Rocket Ballistics, a pair of leather boots, Tourmaster armored mesh jacket, Rocket gloves and HJC helmet.

But, I am going to do the Ridesmart school Track Day, whose staff includes local legend Tye Howard, in October. They require a bit more protection than the first company I used for Track Day. Seemingly, a bit more serious group of riders, and they don't want half *** riders around them. Which makes sense.

One other thing.

I learned some hard lessons from my first Track Day experience and won't make the same mistakes again. Everything from trailering my bike so I don't have to ride 70 miles, in the searing heat in full dress (hot/sweaty/pissed) gear just to get there, to working on technique instead of trying to set the n00b lap record or whatever I was doing before

You live you learn..

Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 PM

are you planning on going to the track frequently to justify all the money? I heard they rent suits at some tracks? any idea if that might be true?

Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

are you planning on going to the track frequently to justify all the money? I heard they rent suits at some tracks? any idea if that might be true?
I'm going to the track frequently because I love the surface and environment of a track.

I bought my own gear rather than renting probably for the same reason people buy their own bowling shoes.
I don't care for wearing clothes other people have sweated in, or god knows what. I realize they probably clean the suits, I'm just **** about that.

I don't even let my girlfriends or family eat from the same untensils or plate as I do. Not exactly a phobia...just gives me a nasty shudder.

The only reason I titled the post as painful was because I ended up spending about 1/3 to twice as much as I originally planned.

Just my attempt at humor.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Where did you buy the boots from and how much did you pay?

Old 07-25-2007, 02:59 PM

I've got the crackhead helmet and love it. Think of getting the chin skirt for it that scorpion sells, it's only like $10 and quiets the helmet down a lot.

Jason

Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR1000

Where did you buy the boots from and how much did you pay?
Got the boots, (getting the boots actually, everything shipped today, so Tuesday at the latest)..anyway got them from New Enough for
like $129.99. Something like that.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Got my gear today at work. (Went by after hours as Fed Ex said it had been delivered.)

The Scorpion EXO-700 Crack Head Helmet:

Probably, make that without a doubt the most comfortable, highest quality helmet ever put on this $2 head.

The fit throughout, head, cheeks, jaw...all top notch.

Comparing it to my Bell, old Arai, and my HJC, this thing is like switching to a Mercedes after driving
a Pinto for 20 years.

Haven't tried switching out the stock clear face shield, (need to find an electric blue mirror one first), but looks straightforward.

The little Crack Head on the back got me some good natured ribing from a convenience store guy.

The skull and crackling..whatever it is all seems top notch.

The venting, which there is a lot of, I haven't got to try yet when it counts. Like on a humid morning
stopped, not moving, and breathing through your mouth. Every helmet I have had always fogs up.

We'll see on this one.

The only cheap looking thing is the plastic S molded letter, (Scorpion) above the face shield.

We'll see how long it takes to come off.

Great helmet and a big step up for me.

Joe Rocket Supermoto Leather Jacket

This thing is..awesome...and friggin *** hot.

Great construction but all the armor takes a bit getting used to. Especially the neck hump, which makes checking over your shoulder while street riding near impossible.

The elbow armor. shoulder armor, all hard as a brick.

Did I mention this thing is hot?

No zip out liner, and it's ok once you are moving, but have to stop for a bit...sheesh.

Great jacket though. Makes me feel racy man.

Didn't have a chance to try on the boots, gloves and leather pants. Will do so Monday.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Got my little digital cam back.

My new gear, (over a grand's worth of leather, and motorcycle specific gear).

Least it should last.

Quick Reply: Jeez...that hurt...