Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

jacket size with armor

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jacket size with armor

i'm about to buy a new astars jacket and i'm wondering should i buy a size larger than normal if i plan to be buying armor inserts?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 PM

yes

Old 03-06-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deltemis
i'm about to buy a new astars jacket and i'm wondering should i buy a size larger than normal if i plan to be buying armor inserts?

Depends, are you buying online or in a store? You could always go to a store and try one on. Especially if buying online. That's what I would do. I generally wear an XL, and my jacket is an XL with armor. Mine is a Joe Rocket ballistic series with elbow, shoulder and back, (speed hump). Would rather not have the speed hump, but I was tight on finances so I bought mine used.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 AM
MZ5

My very limited experience is that the major manufacturers' sizing charts are usually pretty close, if you're not able to try things on first. Understand that the Europeans apparently wear their clothes _much_ tighter than Americans, because you'll often see it suggested to order one size larger than normal if you're buying A*s, Spidi, etc. items that are only sized in european measurements. I can tell you that my Spidi pants fit about like I expected, given the American sizing. It's a somewhat different/trimmer cut than an American style would be, but sized generally correctly for me for a "L." Having said that, their sizing chart would have put me in a Small, IIRC, so maybe Spidi's sizing charts are a bit off... lol

Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
July 2008 ROTM

What type of armor inserts are you considering? If you're getting a quality leather race jacket with CE-approved armor already built in, the only real important addition would be a back protector. You could also get a chest protector. Can't think of anything else you'd want to add armor-wise inside the jacket.