Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Icon Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon Jackets

Wanted to get some opinions from people on the motorhead and daytona jackets. Im definately going to buy one of them very soon and just wanted to know what people think. I live in Florida so which would be better for this weather?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Icon Jackets

I have a motorhead jacket and I really like it. As far as for riding in Florida any jacket you are gonna get hot/sweaty because of humidity but the vents on this thing are really good i wear it year round in Cali. Just take out the liner and open all the vents and go.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 AM

I have mixed emotions about Icon gear. It's NICE, but terribly over-priced, and most of it doesn't have CE armour. ALL Icon jackets have a disclaimer sewn into them saying it's not intended as "personal protective gear." Ok, so it's probably just to cover their a$$ in case of a lawsuit, but still... any motorcycle gear company that comes out and TELLS you it's not intended as protective gear? Gives me pause....

Check out the new Alpinestars Black Label... more fashion-forward styling, but with CE protection (and amazingly, less expensive than some of the Icon jackets). The Magnum, Ice and One-oh-One are all great looking jackets.

As for being in Florida, we're in Florida as well, and haven't worn leather since.. oh... the end of March. It's just too hot and humid here... if you get stuck in traffic in leather, you'll surely get heat-stroke (shoot, my BF got heat exhaustion from sitting in traffic in his MESH one day). Do yourself a favor and invest in a well-ventilated mesh jacket.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Any good suggestions for a good mesh jacket to use here in Florida?

Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM

There are numerous good mesh jackets out there... I have a JR Pheonix 2.0 (which has been retired since I picked up the Power Trip Stiletto), but the new and improved 4.0 is AWESOME. MUCH better made, better fit and finish and even has a pocket (kinda fits around one side of your ribcage) for an extra helmet visor (people who have it swear you can't even tell it's there when you're riding)... so if you ride out in the A.M. with your tinted visor, and want to have a clear on hand for night riding, you're all set!

http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=5289

Chris (NeonspeedRT) swears by his Alpinestars T-stunt Airflow (it's a textile and mesh -- mesh through the body where you need ventilation, textile on the hard contact points)

http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/jack...flojacket.html

AND, with the liner in, this jackets is almost totally waterproof (he's found that out by accident, getting caught in a surprise storm on the way home from work).

Here's the new mesh offering from Power Trip -- I have the ladies version, and LOVE it. Styling might be a bit much for men, I haven't seen it in person yet.

http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=5955