Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Helmets - Shoei or Arai

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets - Shoei or Arai

In the market for a new helmet. As some of you already read about my highside last week, and of course, my helmet is trashed. I had a Shoei RF-1000 which was great. I didn't even get a headache or anything considering I think I hit a big rock with it. The only two things I didn't like about it was one not being able to take out the liner for washing; only cheek pads and strap covers. And two the indexed visor openings, ie one notch, two, three etc from full open to close.
So here are my questions: Does the Shoei X-11 have a detachable liner? I know it has the same indexed visor openings. Also looking at Arai, but having never owned one I'd like to hear some opinions.
Cost is not an issue. You typically get what you pay for so I'm not even interested in Icon, HJC, KBC etc...

Old 10-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Helmets - Shoei or Arai

Don't ya wanna wait till you get your bike and try to match, or at least get close ? There were so many last time i shopped that were around the same price, i did spend some time trying to get the helmet i wanted, but w/my colors n w/not.

You already know what your gonna get, don't you !!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 PM

i don't know about that model as far as cleaning-i would have
to say stick with shoei either way-awesome bucket[sm=smiley20.gif]
also again-glad you made it through the high-side
o8

Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 AM

both the Shoei X-11 and the Arai RX7IV have a detachable inner so you can replace or clean it. I got both, and to be honest, I can't take one over the other, both are great helmets.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: FATHEADS1KRR

You already know what your gonna get, don't you !!
That would be affirmative! Well, I at least have it narrowed down to a few. Not too concernered about looking like a power ranger by color matching though lol

Old 10-14-2006, 03:03 AM

ORIGINAL: flyingwangwang

both the Shoei X-11 and the Arai RX7IV have a detachable inner so you can replace or clean it. I got both, and to be honest, I can't take one over the other, both are great helmets.
Ok cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if the X-11 had a detachable liner or not. Both the X-11 and Arai RX7 are the ones I was mainly looking at. I would get another RF-1000 if the liner came out, great helmet and light weight. I'm still not too thrilled about the visor opening by means of notching though, sometimes I just want to barely crack it to defog and when it's open one full notch or even between it would get very cold in there! And if it was in between notches a change in speed or a wind gust would open or close it.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:04 AM

ORIGINAL: outsider8

also again-glad you made it through the high-side
o8
Thanks a bunch. Believe me, I am too!

Old 10-14-2006, 11:31 AM

I also have the RF-1000 now and an Aria. It is not an RX Aria, little older. That is the one thing I dont like about the Aria. I dropped the helmet off of my mirror (my own fault) and it busted one of the side plates where it attaches to the helmet. I cant for the life of me find a replacement part..........hence the Shoei. I love the Rf my self. But the Aria is a damn fine lid. Surely the RX is even better than my old one.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:10 PM

I've worn arai dirt bike helmets for forever, and they are very solid. Their street bike helmets are superb in terms of lightness, comfort, and protection. I'd reccomend the arai.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 PM

go try both of them one, they are both going to fit differently probably. When I have people coming in looking for helmets it seems that people that fit perfectly in shoei's don't fit in arai's perfectly, and vice versa. Make sure you try both on and play with your thickness in your padding till you get the right fit.

Quick Reply: Helmets - Shoei or Arai