Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Helmet re-paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Fer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet re-paint?

Hi all,

New to the forums...

Anyone has repainted a helmet?
Any gotchas?

I think I'd go to a shop, if I can find one, reason is I have a Shoei helmet which has some scratches, mainly because I don't have a helmet bag and I bump it against walls and what not. And I think it's cheaper than buying a new one, plus I'll be able to get a custom match to the bike's paint...

Opinions?

TIA

Edit...
Bad spelling

Old 11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Default RE: Helmet re-paint?

you can paint it yourself if your not looking for a fully customize helmet (like airbrushing and whatnot).. it's been awhile since i been into the paint scene, so lost all my links to "do it yourself" painting..

it's pretty much just sanding the helmet down to bare bone, then use bondo and sanding that down to make sure there is no gashes from helmet wear and tear. (if you find a crack or a big gash - just throw the helmet away.. you dont want to be putting cracked helmet on you for protection, that's like me wearing a seatbelt that has a tear thru 1/2 of the belt)

but once bondo and sanded down to bare again - you make the decision if you should process (which the flaws in the helmet already) - now just pick up some auto-spray paint (same sh*t as using a compressor and a gun.. just cheaper in the scene) read the directions on the can and make sure your the distance as it says and that you do an even flow over the helmet. Best thing to do is start at the top of the helmet work just like if you were writing a paper (left to right then drop down and left to right again) you can do (left to right, then right to left underneath it) just make sure it's constistent. (make sure you tape off your helmet too, like your bottom - use newspaper and masking tape.. same with the visor area too)

apply 3-4 coats of the same color you desire (each time after it's cured, wet sanding it with 800 to 600grit paper) usually using 800 grit to do the base coats intill your on the 2nd and 3rd coat then use 600 grit for finer sanding (WET SAND FYI) the last coat doesnt need to be sanded because it's going to be the look of the helmet - if you like matte colors, then just leave as is.. if you like the gloss look then pick up a "clearcoat" spray-can

just make sure there is no flaws before clearcoating the helmet - if you have orange peel, pits, finger prints, overspray, runs, etc etc you want them to come out (and this if for every coat)

once clearcoated and it's cured - you need to buff it to bring the shine in the new helmet..

that's pretty much it, you could probbly get a paint-shop to do it for $60-80 (just an estimate) if it's a single color.. could be cheaper.

And if anyone want to clean up some of my tutorial, go right ahead - i've been rusty for a couple of years since i painted (done a couple of projects)

All i can say Fer is dont go all out on a helmet - single color or two-tone it would be fine because it seems like there has been wear and tear to your helmet and you dont want to put a huge job on the helmet and then see that first scratch in the helmet or god forbid you dump *knocks on wood*

Old 11-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Fer
Default RE: Helmet re-paint?

Thanks Vermino
I was doing a google search and found several posts against doing it because the fumes might weaken the internal foam and basically render the helmet useless... I don't know if I'll try it... If I can get the foam out without trouble it should make it easier, I guess