Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

helmet problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmet problems

I currently have a cl-14 hjc helmet and noticed that there was air coming in from the bottom of it enough to defog a complety fogged up visor going 30. When i asked hjc about this problem they suggested i buy a chin curtain which is basicly a two pieces of mesh fabric that go under the chin area. This didnt help at all so they suggested that it was my riding position i have tried every riding position i can think of at the moment. Is there anything that i can do short of buying a new helmet?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: helmet problems

De-fogging is a good thing but an arctic breeze freezing your eyeballs is not. My solution was to buy a seperate helmet for cold weather -- actually it's a snowmobile helmet. It's the same as a normal bike helmet except: double visor (no fog - slight distortion of light), chin warmy thing and a real breath deflector (not the cheap thing HJC calls a breath deflector). Mine is the g-max 38x -- forget how much it costs but it's reasonable. Only thing I don't like about it is some visibility is compromised for warmth -- had it down to 17F with no probs -- so you really gotta check your blind spot good before changing lanes.

As for the HJC, my other helmet is the hjc symax model and it flows air pretty well also. Don't know if you can fix that.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered Users

Kobester,

I have the CL-14 as well and had issues with the air coming in from the bottom, enough so as to cause the helmet to lift at high speeds. I'd have to go into nearly a full tuck during highway riding just to keep the wind resistance down. I've tried opening all the vents hoping the free flowing air would even out, and I tried closing all the vents to create an air bubble within a bubble [helmet]...no dice. Anyway...purchased a breath guard (helps keep the helmet from getting fogged up), and a chin curtain from the dealership. At a good clip of 70-75, there's still the issue of the helmet bouncing around, but it's not as bad as without the chin curtain. Don't know if it's helmet specific (the CL-14s are good helmets, but definitely on the bulky side...sometimes I feel lik Dark Helmet [SpaceBalls] when I put it on), but I'm guessing you might have to purchase another helmet. Probably why I'm purchasing another one *shrug*

If you figure out the anomaly (riding position, vent combination, etc.), let me know. Good luck!

ORIGINAL: kobester

I currently have a cl-14 hjc helmet and noticed that there was air coming in from the bottom of it enough to defog a complety fogged up visor going 30. When i asked hjc about this problem they suggested i buy a chin curtain which is basicly a two pieces of mesh fabric that go under the chin area. This didnt help at all so they suggested that it was my riding position i have tried every riding position i can think of at the moment. Is there anything that i can do short of buying a new helmet?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: stephygee

Kobester,

I have the CL-14 as well and had issues with the air coming in from the bottom, enough so as to cause the helmet to lift at high speeds. I'd have to go into nearly a full tuck during highway riding just to keep the wind resistance down.
i too have a cl-14 and i totally agree with the high air flow. but it sounds like you're wearing a helmet that is too large. it should never lift up and away from your head.

and as far as the air flow goes, i like it (when it's over 80). i open all the vents and leave the visor slightly open at the last notch before closed. the cl-14 is a great hot weather helmet because of the air flow but i too am in the market for a new helmet, more because of personal preference and not because of helmet problems.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE
i too have a cl-14 and i totally agree with the high air flow. but it sounds like you're wearing a helmet that is too large. it should never lift up and away from your head.

[/quote]

The sizing isn't the issue...I wear a medium and a small was just too tight. I don't think I was clear when stating the lift issue...when I'm going over 70, the wind lifts the helmet off my head a bit..not to the point where it would be a hazard as I have it strapped on, but the aerodynamics of the CL-14 doesn't help much. My head/helmet just jumps around a lot and I have to "chin in" to keep the wind from under my helmet. I remember my Shoei(s) fit better and were much lighter, but @ $600 a pop, getting a replacement wasn't feasible at the time. I change my helmets at least every 1.5 to 2 years regardless of wear, and my two previous helmets were Shoei, as was my first helmet. While the CL-14 is a good standard helmet, I definitely noticed the difference when I put it on.

Dark Helmet

Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: stephygee

The sizing isn't the issue...I wear a medium and a small was just too tight. I don't think I was clear when stating the lift issue...when I'm going over 70, the wind lifts the helmet off my head a bit..not to the point where it would be a hazard as I have it strapped on, but the aerodynamics of the CL-14 doesn't help much.

Dark Helmet
ok. understood now. i honestly had this picture in my head of you going down the road with your hand on top of your helmet to keep it from flying off! kinda funny, huh. i agree with you that the aerodynamics of the cl-14 are below average. its got the classic helmet shape (read- bowling ball.) and i too am in the market for a new helmet. one with a more pointed profile to cut the wind. i notice alot more wind resistance with this helmet over my older kbc.

and the dark helmet signiture is funny as hell. i love spaceballs.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

laughin my a$$ off

Old 01-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered Users

Seriously...look how this helmet fits! I need a new dome! [&:]

Dark Helmet

[IMG]local://upfiles/290/E1E6D659665E4C199DD311C9A7C0C3D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I'd suggest you drop some cash for a shoei but you might get a "big head" LMAO -- I slay myself sometimes

Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 PM

just got back from a rather destressing ride. Trying to find a position that might work to cut that down with no avail was in a full tuck with air coming in from the bottom at 65!!! Also i noticed that when im going at a higher speed say 80 or so the bottom of the helment starts to creap back on me just from the wind. Deciding to see just how far it would go back i went up to 100-105 on a back road and the bottom of the helmet was touching my chin. I'm thinking this might be a sizing issue but i really dunno ive had this helmet for a long time now and when i bought it i knew next to nothing about riding the dealer that i went to had me try on a med and that was just too small then i tried on the large and found that it was just a tad to big so i tried swiching med pads for the large ones and that really didnt help so i ended up getting the large. I think its time for that new helmet now any good ones that you guys know of?

Quick Reply: helmet problems