Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Good padded gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good padded gloves?

Old guy here (37), is finding out how quickly his palms/hands go numb from riding his new F4i. I don't have this problem at all on my Harley, but the seating position on the F4i is obviously putting more of my weight forward, really only affecting the palms. I'm also hoping to alleviate some of the "buzzyness" from the engine, through the grips and to my hands. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced glove that has a good cushion in the palm area that can bring me some relief?

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Good padded gloves?

I have the Joe Rocket Supermoto, and they seem to help a bit. I think the issue however is more related to riding position than it is padding. Sportbike ergos put a lot more pressure on your shoulders, wrists and hands than a cruiser style bike. I am 41 and am actually considering installing helibars to aleviate some of the pressure on my wrists and hands; they raise the bars a bit and are backswept a little bit more, giving you a bit more upright riding position. Might be something to consider if new gloves don't work.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM

I've run into this as well, on longer rides (as well as soreness at the thumb joint on my right hand). I've searched long and hard, and while I found gloves (like Olympia) with gel inserts in the palms, they didn't have the armour/protection that a good riding glove should have.

Try some new bar ends and/or grips to try to reduce some of the vibrations being transmitted to your hands (for me anyway, the vibration caused a large part of the numbness and pain).

Old 06-29-2006, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: neebelung

Try some new bar ends ... to reduce some of the vibrations being transmitted to your hands (for me anyway, the vibration caused a large part of the numbness and pain).
+1.

The weighted bar ends will provide the best result when looking to end the "buzz" feeling. Gloves and grips will provide no to litte benefit for the vibration problem. I put HVMP bar ends on my bike and it made a huge difference.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:39 PM

I too put HVMP bar ends on my bike, along with new grips and it hasn't helped much at all.
I am conscious of my riding position and do try to keep my weight off my hands/arms.
It seems on my bike the throttle side has more vibration than the clutch side.
In fact the other day i almost lost one of my bar ends, the damn thing was just hanging on there. If the screw was any shorter i would have lost it.
Yes, i did put some locktite on the screws when i installed them.
I check my tp every time before i head out on a ride. Could it be a fork issue?
I bought the bike used, it had 1600 miles on it when i got it. The suspension was set sooo stiff on it that it wouldn't move
when i sat on it. I have since adjusted the susp to where it feels better for me, ie cornering etc.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 PM

I found that if I ride a lot, my body adapts.

I'm almost 48 and the 1000RR is less ergonomic than the F4i I had, but frequent riding to build my stamina has helped more than anything.

Use your abs, legs, and back to help alleviate the pressure on your hands and wrists.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

Use your abs, legs, and back to help alleviate the pressure on your hands and wrists.
This is the best advice out of all of them! Grip the bike with your knees and at first make a conscious effort to keep your arms relaxed, elbows flexed and a nice loose grip on the bars.

Helibars won't fix it, different bar weights won't fix it, but doing what OldFatGuy recommend will fix it...if you keep reminding yourself to relax, eventually it will come naturally!

To be honest, padded gloves make things worse and they reduce the feedback you get from these wonderful machines almost in half...get a nice thin pair of gloves with pre-curved fingers and you'll notice your hands will feel GREAT after a ride...and you'll actually feel in touch with the machine.

My track gloves are Alpinestars GP Tech and street gloves are Alpinestars GP Pro <---the most comfortable glove I've ever worn!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 AM

I'll have to agree. I have chronic back pain at work, but I keep my self relaxed and have absolutely no problems riding my 1krr. I rotate my weight from hands to back during the ride. Also, riding on highways and interstate causes me more fatigue than on a curvey back road. So I like to stick to the twisties instead of highways, of course.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 PM

Bar ends don't help. Helibars may help a little but not much. I agree with Fret on this one, keep reminding yourself to relax not only your elbows but relax your grip. Remember this is a sport bike, your gonna have to give up some comfort to have a little fun. Your Harley is for comfort I've ridden a few and if it weren't for that loud exhaust I'd probably fall asleep. I'm 38 so I know where you're coming from, we're not as limber as we used to be.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 AM

Thanks to everyone for their comments to this posting.

I am no spring chicken myself, 51 years "young", and have the same problems with tingling and numbness in my hands during a ride. It tends to be worse during the commute to work, but that's to be understood, given the proliferation of SUV's and cell phones on the road today (a deadly combination).

The tingling and numbness is less noticeable during a casual ride on the country roads, and I do make a conscious effort to relax my grip and use the rest of my body to help steer and to hold on .... this helps tremendously.

I guess that I like to think that I still have the same grip that I had when I raced MX in my teens and 20's.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and the smile .... it would seem that I need to try a new pair of gloves as well.

Marc
2004 CBR1000RR

Quick Reply: Good padded gloves?