Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Gear Talk

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Talk

is there a topic on here for riding gear?
i found the girls section but what about for guys?
looking for a decent light helmet, the HJC CL-15 that i got now is good enough but could use a lighter one.
maybe a CF one

thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 07:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask and you shall recieve...this is our slightly obscure spot for your type of inquiry.

Ern

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM

This is where we talk about gear, you have found the right location.

As for a Lightweight CF helmet.... I have just what you are looking for. Little but more expensive than the HJC, but you get what you pay for(or so they say).

Arai Corsair V Race Carbon Helmet - RevZilla

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 AM

HOLEY JEBUS BAT MAN $4G ???
man what kind of money do you have to spend on gear? or do you have sponsors for these? i think thats a bit too rich for my blood.

i was just doing a quick search and i found these

Joe Rocket RKT 201 Carbon Helmet

on now for $390

or

HJC RPS-10 Helmet

on now for $295

i guess my budget is sub $500.
it would be a REALLY BIG PLUS if i could change the visors with ease as well.

HJC CL-15 that i have now ...

i got for $250 on sale. and the girl threw in a tinted visor for free. it is very handy to pop it out and switch between them on long rides.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM

change visor with ease???... Get an Arai.

or just spend the extra money, like I did, and get a visor that works day and night.. $350 for helmet and $99 for day/night visor or $500 for helmet with ease to change visor and $99 for each visor. Just a thought.

Last edited by Trey929RR; 04-01-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: visor wording
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 1st Gen of the Joe Rocket, the RKT 101 CF. My opinion is that it's "sufficient" but doesn't compare to my Shoei. And my Shoe I isn't even cf.

Not having direct experience with the 201 I can't say if they address my problems with the 101 in the new version, namely it was loud as hell and fogged if I thought about breathing.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 AM

Yes they are pretty much the same helmet. Even made by the same company.
I like motorcyclegear.com as they actually take the time to write back. I believe the RTK101 was the same as the HJC CL-15 and I got one, I know they can get pretty loud but I got a Scala Rider and 90% of the times I’m either listening to the radio or talking to other riders or cell phone or what even. I rarely have dead air.

I was more concerned about the weight and fatigue on the neck and back. This year I will be commuting more to work and possibly some more long distance riding so a better helmet would be good. But then again, I if the helmet cost more then my bike then I can do without.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MrHEX
Yes they are pretty much the same helmet. Even made by the same company.
I like motorcyclegear.com as they actually take the time to write back. I believe the RTK101 was the same as the HJC CL-15 and I got one, I know they can get pretty loud but I got a Scala Rider and 90% of the times I’m either listening to the radio or talking to other riders or cell phone or what even. I rarely have dead air.

I was more concerned about the weight and fatigue on the neck and back. This year I will be commuting more to work and possibly some more long distance riding so a better helmet would be good. But then again, I if the helmet cost more then my bike then I can do without.
From that standpoint, you'll do fine with the rkt. I rode with both my Shoei and the RKT I have to compare them. The Shoei has a little air scoop / thingie at the base of the neck the RKT doesn't have and is my only complaint with it. It catches on the air scoop / neckling of my jacket when in a full tuck, forcing me to tilt my head forward to avoid it. That causes extra strain to keep my head up.

So since the rkt doesn't have it, it is more comfortable on longer rides. Neither one's weight ever affected me. If you have a means of dealing with the noise, you'll be fine. And Joe Rocket helmets are made by HJC iirc. I know you buy HJC shields, not JRs, for replacement. So the supply is good. The only real caveat I can think of is to find a gear shop and try before you buy. The rkt doesn't have removeable cheek pads. So you can't really customize the fit. I have a narrow face so it fit kinda loose.

When i tried on the Shoei the saleswoman noticed it immediately and replaced the pads with thicker ones, making it far better fitting.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM

Oh btw:
That Aria really is for sponsored racers, the idle rich and people that blow their IRS returns on gear. I'd never keep a helmet past 5 years, preferring to replace at 3 years. UV exposure does degrade the protective qualities. And while manufacturers will say they put in UV protectants so do the guys that make my hardhats for work. And we're required to replace those every 5 years.

So I don't believe in owning a helmet for a lifetime. It is the most important piece of gear we own so I'd rather not take my chances. And i can spend $500 on a new lid every couple years. Gives me an excuse to go gear shopping

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
So I don't believe in owning a helmet for a lifetime. It is the most important piece of gear we own so I'd rather not take my chances. And i can spend $500 on a new lid every couple years. Gives me an excuse to go gear shopping
oh yes 100% agree, they say to keep it for 5-7 years but i dont know if i want to cheap out on this. boots and gloves maybe but my brain bucket... ya i dont know.

but at the same time, i also know they are good for one drop or hit, so dont want to waste a few G's on one drop off a desk. or in the gym or store or what ever.

it really bugs me when i see people leave the helmet on the bike and go into work or in a store for hours. AHHHH

Quick Reply: Gear Talk