Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Is this gear good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this gear good?

Alright I just got a bike, going to buy some gear before I ride! I was thinking of getting the Alpinestars T stunt 2 air flo jacket, and the astars s-mx carbon 2 gloves. Is this a good combo? Also, what would be a good helmet for approx. $250? I was thinking about a KBC, but would like some feedback on them if possible. Thanks!

Matt

Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Default RE: Is this gear good?

I personally would never put my body in mesh textile gear, nor would I ever skimp on good gloves especially if they arent gauntlet style. I just had a friend eat **** with Joe Rocket mesh gear and it did a number on him. It probably did it's job for the most part but he had a 60mph get off and had he been wearing leather.........he'd be fine. Instead he has rash on his calf, his arm got it pretty decent but his *** got it the worst. I am an advocate of leather all the way. I have textile that isnt mesh and I do wear it when I wear shorts to work, but other wise.....full leathers all the way. The gloves I gave him prior to this however did a DAMN good job. They were Honda brand with plastic rivets in the palm and double layer after that and they are unusable now, but not a scratch on his hands. Cheap "mechanics" gloves sold as motorcycle gloves I think suck. Stunters seem to like this stuff for some reason, I have no idea why as they crash more often than your average rider during the learning stages. If you want a good jacket....check out
http://www.newenough.com/product_gro...ut_leather.htm
There are some good deals on this site. I order all my gear there except the helmet. As for the helmet........check out Scorpion helmets. I've worn a couple and they fit almost as good as a Shoei at half the price. They are nice, when mine dies Im getting one of these. I have an AGV and an Aria now and the AGV is nice, but no where near and Aria for comfort. My brothers Shoei RF 1000 is alot better than my AGV also. Hope this helps. Just dont skimp on gear.........you wont regret it if you need it.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:59 PM

Yeah, I'm mostly going to be using the bike to commute to school (~2 miles each way b/c I live in Gainesville, which is a college town) and fun on the weekends. I'm going to ride mostly on sub-50mph roads, so would textile mesh be ok for that? Granted sure I'm going to be on the highway SOME, I might just get another jacket for when I go out on weekends to do spirited riding. That way I can have a comfortable jacket to wear to class, and one that offers better protection for the times when I push it.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 AM

Well, thats the ****ty thing about accidents.......you never know when and how it'll happen. Even 40mph is fast enough I wouldnt want to hit the road. I suppose if it wasnt mesh it would hold up better I think, the mesh just doesnt offer enough surface area to take the hit. Personally, I cant afford a skin graft nor do I wish to have one done, so I wear leather when ever possible. Yes, textile is MUCH better than nothing and definantly worth the money. I would stay away from the mesh, but again, it's up to you. Your tollerance for pain might be much higher than mine. I would also lean towards good, gauntlet gloves. I've seen guys at the track eat **** at more than 60 and walk away without a scratch, and the gear was mostly usable still, but the one mesh accident I saw, he did limp away, but it ground his skin pretty good. I wish I had pics for you. Alas.......I do not. As for comfort, a good jacket has some armor in it and would not be comfortable to sit in class with all day. So as far as comfort.....I dont know, it's probably a toss up. Again, these are just my experiences.......Im sure someone here has ate it with mesh and will tell you it worked fine. I just know what I saw.......nope, not for me. Like I said, i think textile with out mesh is probably ok.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:56 AM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

I have an AGV and an Aria now and the AGV is nice, but no where near and Aria for comfort.
I believe it's Arai, an aria involves vocal pitches used in singing

Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 AM

I have the Alpinestars T-Stunt Air-Flo jacket and it's very nice, but it's my "too hot to be riding and I don't want to go out in a T-shirt" jacket...it still has the CE armor in the elbows, shoulders and back pad, but I know if I go down in this jacket I'll more than likely leave some skin on the pavement...but it's better than nothing on a scorching hot day...otherwise like gixxereater I'm wrapped in leather!

I have a pair of regular gloves for super hot days, but the majority of the time I use a gauntlet style glove.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: UFsurfer

Also, what would be a good helmet for approx. $250? I was thinking about a KBC, but would like some feedback on them if possible. Thanks!

Matt
I love my KBC Force RR! Check out my write up.
https://cbrforum.com/m_109185/tm.htm

Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 PM

I love my Force RR also. I have just black and I love it!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

I personally would never put my body in mesh textile gear, nor would I ever skimp on good gloves especially if they arent gauntlet style. I just had a friend eat **** with Joe Rocket mesh gear and it did a number on him. It probably did it's job for the most part but he had a 60mph get off and had he been wearing leather.........he'd be fine. Instead he has rash on his calf, his arm got it pretty decent but his *** got it the worst. I am an advocate of leather all the way. I have textile that isnt mesh and I do wear it when I wear shorts to work, but other wise.....full leathers all the way. The gloves I gave him prior to this however did a DAMN good job. They were Honda brand with plastic rivets in the palm and double layer after that and they are unusable now, but not a scratch on his hands. Cheap "mechanics" gloves sold as motorcycle gloves I think suck. Stunters seem to like this stuff for some reason, I have no idea why as they crash more often than your average rider during the learning stages. If you want a good jacket....check out
http://www.newenough.com/product_gro...ut_leather.htm
There are some good deals on this site. I order all my gear there except the helmet. As for the helmet........check out Scorpion helmets. I've worn a couple and they fit almost as good as a Shoei at half the price. They are nice, when mine dies Im getting one of these. I have an AGV and an Aria now and the AGV is nice, but no where near and Aria for comfort. My brothers Shoei RF 1000 is alot better than my AGV also. Hope this helps. Just dont skimp on gear.........you wont regret it if you need it.
Hey I hear you but what would you suggest to wear when it's 110 outside (Las Vegas during summer months, that seem to last forever) don't you think
it's better than Kalamari style (tee shirt & no gloves) If you are not comfortable while riding (like being too hot) you are likely to make a mistake that can result in something bad happening my $0.02

Old 07-21-2006, 08:59 AM

Well, just picked up my helmet...decided to see what everyone was raving about and got a scorpion exo400.

Quick Reply: Is this gear good?