Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

fogging helmet

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fogging helmet

hey i just got a helmet an i cant ride with the visor down cause it keeps fogging up, any advice?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I clean my visor with lens wipes they provide at work for our safety glasses. They have an anti-fogging solution in them. But I have to clean my visor like every other day with them in cold weather.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scorpion visors don't fog.

Try rubbing the inside of the visor with a cut potato. (use the white part)
Let it dry and buff it out.
You can also use liquid soap. Wipe on a real thin layer, let it dry, buff it out. (regular hand soap will work, too.)

They also make some anti-fog products. Most don't work all that well (or any better than the above methods)
I've used rain-x antifog, too. It worked pretty good, but it's not recommended for plastics.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM

What kind of helmet? I knew from experience that HJC helmets fog badly, but the IS-Max had all my must-have features at half the price of an EXO-900, and HJC is big in the snowmobile market so they have lots of cold-weather accessories. I got a double layer heated visor for it cheap on ebay; it's been below freezing with high relative humidity almost every morning for the last several weeks and I'm satisfied with its performance.

Still, the slight loss of clarity you get with a double layer design annoys me and I'd rather use a regular visor and wear a fog mask if I can find one that works well with my glasses.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by badpie426
hey i just got a helmet an i cant ride with the visor down cause it keeps fogging up, any advice?
I have a Shoei RF1000 that the visor fogs quite easily if the temp is below 50F or so. I installed a Fog City shield insert and it works very well. I cannot get it to fog now even when I try.

The only downside to it is the adhesive edge is visible once installed. Not a big deal but if you're into a clean look you can see that there's something there if you look for it. It doesn't interfere with my vision and you probably couldn't see it from the outside if installed on a smoke shield.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cat Crap .........no really

Cat Crap Line of anti fog products

smells great too

and the lip balm is just magical

Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
MZ5

FWIW, a plug of tobacco smeared on whatever's fogging up will also do a pretty decent job of preventing the trouble. Buff clear, of course!

Thanks for the potato idea, kilgoretrout.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 PM

have you tried using dishwashing soap ? just apply a little on the visor and swipe it off with a cloth. do not add any water. so far I think it's the best method so far, at least for me and I'm wearing glasses too.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

thank you all for advise, i just bought a cheap helmet and its fogging up as well. i will try some of these things.

Quick Reply: fogging helmet