Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

buying a new helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a new helmet

I am gettin a new helmet next week and want some opinions. My three choices are
1. gmax: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMAX-...Q5fMerchandise

2 icon mainframe:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Appa...1%7C240%3A1318

joe rocet:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Appa...1%7C240%3A1318

I am leaning toward the Icon but wanted everyones opinion

Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM

First, I'd get myself to a dealer or dealers that sell these helmets to find out how well these helmets fit and your proper sizing. Two of your links are for xlarge and one is for a large size. You don't want to buy something on ebay and then find out it doesn't fit right. Second, I'd avoid the Snell rated helmets (Icon and JoeRocket). Why? Read this. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html It's a long article but is good reading for anyone in the market for a helmet.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 AM

The only one I havnt tried on is the joe rocket. I only used the large just for the pic. I will be getting an xl

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM

I agree with Paco about trying on the helmets first. Some are better for round faces, some better for oval. But if you really favor the style of Joe Rocket, then find out what size you would wear with an HJC helmet. I am pretty certain that I read somewher that Joe Rocket helmets were manufactured by HJC.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM

I think I am goin with the Icon

Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 PM

Ditch all 3 choices. Save a little more money and buy the last helmet you'll ever buy (unless insurance buys it from a crash, God forbid):

Arai Corsair V or Shark RSR2!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SNELL has changed their standard for evaluating helmets after MUCH controversy surrounding that article series. I don't think U.S. helmets are made to the new spec yet, nor can I even recall what the new spec is named. Anyone?

BSI or ECE helmets are okay though.

FWIW, my helmet is SNELL, inspite of all I know about helmets. I own a Scorpion EX700 and would probably buy another if I needed one today.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Well, I'm glad to see that someone actually read that article. If Snell has changed their testing standards, more power to them. It took them long enough, though, considering the article first appeared three or four years ago, and also considering how dismissive and lame their original response to the article was. In any event, the bottom line of the article was this- ANTHING YOU EVER THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT HELMET SAFETY IS WRONG. In Motorcyclists tests, the low end helmets (i.e. DOT only lids) all significantly outperformed all of the high end helmets (i.e. Snell rated lids). Thus, an el-cheapo Pep Boys special did better than the high end Arai that they tested. How? Why? READ THE ARTICLE. A number of Snell rated helmets have been mentioned in this thread, and I challenge you guys to find any of these models being sold in Europe. I think you'll have a problem finding anything. Why- because these models can't pass Euro testing.
When I first read the Motorcyclist article, I thought, holy crap, are they really saying what I think their saying. So I read it again, and I realized that, yeah, they were. It any event, I've been kind of a crusader on this issue since the Motorcyclist article completely turns conventional thinking upside down and I think all riders should be aware of this, especially anyone in the market for a new helmet. Oh, and CBRclassic, you can ignore all of this since it doesn't really apply to you Aussies.

Last edited by pacojoseph; 02-05-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I read it when it came out, followed it and sent it around. Regardless, my voice hasn't been loud enough. Kinda like my voice on why we should remove fluoride from drinking water and toothpaste...but do you think anyone is listening......????

Quick Reply: buying a new helmet