Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Boots

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boots

Ok I have $150 to spend on some boots the question is which boots? I've looked at the Icon line for motorhead and field boots. I like those, but some discredit the Icon line. I want a boot that protects but also looks cool to wear off the bike in public.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Default RE: Boots

These look pretty cool and are half price!

http://www.newenough.com/gaerne_shoc...boots_page.htm

Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Icon Icon Motorhead boots are the boots I primarliy wear when I ride. If not them then I wear a pair of Alpinestars SMX's. I like the Icons a lot as long as I'm not wearing them all day long since they start to hurt my feet if I have to stand in them for hours at a time. They offer great over the ankle protection and look kick *** with my "protective" Icon jeans and my red Alpinestars One2One leather jacket. My opinion is that all of the better known brand boots like Icon, Joe Rocket, and Sidi that go over your ankle will be fine. If they are for the street my advice is to go for style but make sure they offer over the ankle protection. If you plan on doing any track riding and are strapped for cash then buy a racing boots that you can wear under what ever kind of pants you ride with.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM

check out the set up boots at newenough as well. they are just like sidis but cheapers. actually, they're a cheaper line of sidis.

stay away from icon stuff. any company that would say their stuff is for looks/street purposes and not for racing isn't worth having. though lower speed on the street, you're likely to hit something and with rougher asphalt than track, you need just as much protection.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 PM

Pretty sad when protective equipment is nothing more than eye candy...

Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM

I have the shockwave boots.
very comfortable boot. No smell after 2yrs of sweating in them.
I have narrow feet and bought size 10 normally wear 11. they fit me perfect.
I would buy another pair if they had some 10.
I used them for every day riding, and walking around in them has worn the soles down quite a bit.
Nice track day boot, get something with more tread for everyday use.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 AM

no complaints about my s-mx3 alpinestars. even tho they might be a lil over kill for the street. i kno my ankle wont be roadkill.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:50 AM

New enough rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they always treat me good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those gaerne boots are good for lower end, i think about 235$ when they were released, great deal, factory rep said ,they run a bit wider than most, but prob not as wide as oxtar, scarf the best you can, i taged sidi verts and vert corsa, both under retail by 1/2, on ebay. quite pleased w/ fit, corsa, wider a scosh. and calf adjustment on corsa, great for fit w/ leathers. I've worn both, in 35f, w/ single pair of boot socks. A bit of silicon spray, will aleaviate the vert sqweek. many people say matrix boots(sidi) are way cool too.
I just dont think there is overkill, when your considering safety equipment, remember, they used to play pro football in leather helmets!!!!!!!! and it did diehards, like earnhart, no good, to error on the side of, i'll be ok.I'm getting a spine protector soon. Ripp'n

Old 03-25-2006, 10:38 AM

I just bought some Sidi B-Twos for $190... they are nice boots for a great price

Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 PM
LDH

Similar to the Joe Rocket line the Icon stuff is pretty much worthless although I guess any gear is better than no gear, but if you are going to spend the money anyway you might as well buy something that will A. offer you as much protection as any other similarly priced item & B. not need replacing in less than a year simply due to poor construction. I've not personally used any ICON stuff, but have plenty of guys in the racing & magazine biz that have tried all manner of ICON gear & they almost all agree that it is just overpriced junk for the street squids. The reason certain brands like ICON & Joe Rocket are so popular is nothing more than marketing & availability.

Anywho back to the subject of boots, there are plenty of quality boots out there in the $150 range including the Oxtars that have been getting excellent reviews by very credible riders.

Personally I have a lot more experience with various brands of full leathers & gloves than I do with boots, but I'll never own another pair of Alpinestars again... Total Crap! the soles literally fell off my Biaggi reps with less than 3 months of easy street use. (& I also know I am not the only one that has happened to)

Sidi on the other hand are awesome. As a track junkie & now instructor for STT I'm still using a pair regularly that is 9 years old & have been crashed in several times! Their newer stuff seems like they are made for slightly narrower than normal feet though.

With the recent purchase of my new leathers I decided to get some new boots & wanted to try something new so I got the Oxtars & so far I really like them. They have an inner lacing system that allows for a perfect fit even if the boot is a little too large for your actual foot size etc. They are extremely comfortable (even more so than my Sidi's) & they appear to be very well constructed however only time will tell in that regard.

Quick Reply: Boots