Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

The BEST thing to use for tail bag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The BEST thing to use for tail bag?

I'm polling around for opinions on the best rig to use as a tail bag. I want something with the best space (may be expandable) and features. I've got a 1000rr with a custom tail rack that provides about 12" x 14" base that I can strap pretty much anything on, so the options are wide open; in fact it doesn't necessarily have to be specifically designed as a tail bag, might even be a small duffel or something. Just needs to be flexible and something I can strap down securely without a bunch of crap flapping in the breeze. Rugged and waterproof are a plus.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a tank bag on the rear of my on/off bike. You need something to hold a 6-pack at minimal.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM

yeah i want something much larger than a tank bag, probably with volume approaching 2 ft³

Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nelson Rigg CL-700 Expandable Tail Pack Tail Bag :: MotorcycleGear.com

This is what I just got, I can fit my laptop and a weeks worth of clothes with it expanded. Has a couple of built in bungee cords and in it's smallest form couple probably still fit a full face helmet.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might look at some of the trunks available or modify some sort of cargo container,
aluminum case, or check out the pelican stuff. The soft-side bags are getting pretty
good too, do a soft-side luggage search. They do seperate tail-trunk stuff, not just the
panniers. I've got a Givi on a Mono-rack, myself. The trunk quick-releases and just
leaves a plate-rack (for the sorting times). The chicks dig the security of a fixed trunk,
too.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I can't say "best", I can tell you what I have/use...

I have the Cortech setup as seen in this pic on their webpage... Cortech :: Luggage. Its the Sport Tail Bag & Saddlebags. They can be used separately or together as a complete unit. One nice thing about the Sport Tail Bag is that it has a nice handle such that it can be carried like a briefcase. It will fit a nice sized laptop w/o any problem & still have room for clothing, etc.

I also have the Cortech TriBag Tail Bag. Its like any small duffel but designed as a tail bag w/ typical tail securing bungees w/ hooks. Off the bike, it looks like any other duffel & works great for anything you'd typically use a small duffel for. Like the Cortech Sport Tail Bag, the TriBag Tail Bag is also designed to work w/ the Saddle Bags or on its own as a separate unit. Measurements are 17.5"L x 12"W x 10"H & from experience, I can tell you it holds a lot.

All bags mentioned come w/ rain covers.

I've found that I more frequently use either of the two tail bags w/o the saddlebags but do add a good sized tank bag to supplement. Also of note, regardless of what tail bag I use, I always use a CargoLoc stretch cargo net w/ plastic hooks over the tail bags to make them more secure to the bike.

Good luck w/ your shopping.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this thread. I'm planning on taking a 6 day trip in the spring and all my mc luggage is for a cruiser. I have in the past strapped a backpack to a tail, but I would rather have something more accessible.

Regener8ed, I think a mc bag would still be best for your application because most of them have a rain pouch included which you might find useful one day.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM

yeah, i've kind of ended up browsing through cruiser stuff like t-bags, but there were a few possibilities from cortech too. the Cycle Gear website has a bunch of luggage, good to get ideas.
ultimately, i want to get some hard saddlebags and have a large duffel-style bag to go across the top. my rack is custom made so i can think outside the box as far as using what is typically available for a sport bike and tailor it to suit what i want; the downside is that there's no specific place to look at solutions because technically they don't exist.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I use my backpack stuffed full and strapped down with bungees and one backup piece of rope. Normally I just wear it while riding but for out of town/long distance trips or when the pack is loaded heavy I strap it down. Works great, fits tons of stuff. Name:  uploadme1024x768.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  163.3 KB

Last edited by boredandstroked; 02-16-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

regen, that custom rack looks really nice.

Quick Reply: The BEST thing to use for tail bag?