Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Arai vs. Shoei

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arai vs. Shoei

basically the deal is, I'm looking for a lid once I get the bike. I heard it wasn't a good idea to use someone's used helmet if they have had it for awhile. I'm looking at either of the two listed. My problem is in picking out the design.

If you have a current helmet that is still being produced design wise or just in general could u post up a pic or link. I noticed real pictures can look a little better bc they don't look so generic.

LETS SEE THOSE LIDS!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Try some on and decide on brand first. Shoei, for instance, does not fit me but Arai is perfect. My buddy can't wear Arai. Head shape differs between them and their various styles.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I rock Suomy myself, and I like it. They have a few different price levels with some awesome designs.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM

i've tried Arai and they fit pretty well. I'm gonna go tomorrow to a couple bike shops and try a few on. most of them only carry scorpion and HJC helmets

Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Aken
I rock Suomy myself, and I like it. They have a few different price levels with some awesome designs.
Me too. I love my Suomy

Here is a link that lists Helmet weight
Motorcycle Helmet Weights - webBikeWorld

And helmet listed by head shape
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM

I found one style I like so far...
Arai RX-Q Duetet Helmet - RevZilla

any place I can get it cheaper?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go inexpensive: Both HJC and Scorpion have Snell & Dot approved helmets that (for my noggin, anyway) are perfectly comfortable. I think I spent $200 or so between the two helmets.

That said, check motorcyclegear.com for good deals on all kinds of helmets. If you catch a closeout, you can get a steal. Cycle Gear out here often has good deals too; if there's one near you, you might have some luck.

Just as a curiosity question: Why these two brands? Designs?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM

Google shopper is your friend.

Copy and paste the exact helmet name/model and search, then sort by price.

Lowest on ebay:
2011 ARAI RX-Q HELMET DUETET SZS: XS to 2X NIB on eBay!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
I go inexpensive: Both HJC and Scorpion have Snell & Dot approved helmets that (for my noggin, anyway) are perfectly comfortable. I think I spent $200 or so between the two helmets.

That said, check motorcyclegear.com for good deals on all kinds of helmets. If you catch a closeout, you can get a steal. Cycle Gear out here often has good deals too; if there's one near you, you might have some luck.

Just as a curiosity question: Why these two brands? Designs?
Honestly I'm just like that. I'm prone to getting the more expensive **** for my hobbies. Don't even get me started on my car. then there was the Saltwater aquarium. The gf actually supported that one. I got rid of it and got a Ball python! cheapest pet/hobby I've ever had! lol.

I really like the two helmets. And after seeing the reviews and everything they offer I don't want to pass it up for something that may be cheaper to me. I have the money saved back for even the helmet and jacket. even tho I don't really want to spend it. At least I don't have to buy an exhaust since it already has a 2bro's!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by Ls1Tuner_06
i've tried Arai and they fit pretty well.
Which Arai fit well? They have multiple internal shapes (to fit different head shapes), and they are or can be _very_ different. The fact that one Arai fit you well doesn't mean they all will. Check Arai's site for their different shapes and what helmet model(s) is/are made to each shape.

For me, Arai's Profile is the head shape I need. Nearly all helmets give me a headache; some after just a few moments, some only after 15 - 30 minutes or so. The Profile hasn't caused me that trouble. I do wish it was just slightly taller inside, top to bottom, but there isn't a problem with how tall it is in terms of it not fitting me or hurting me.

At least one of the new Shoei's didn't give me a headache within the first 5 - 10 minutes of trying it on, but it's not the same shape inside as some of the Arais.

I tried to buy my Arai locally, but the local dealer is a SMALL shop, and they can't afford to order a helmet just on the off chance it'll fit me properly. They said they didn't have a Profile in my size, so that was kind of the end of it. The unfortunate thing for the local shop is that, later on (after I'd gone elsewhere and bought), I went looking through every one of their Arais myself (ignored the guy who said they didn't have any in my size), and found that they did actually have a Profile in my size. Too bad, 'cause I'd have given them the money for the helmet if they'd known their own inventory.

I bought mine from Competition Accessories, and that was a super experience. I called them, and David took good care of me. Outstanding deal on the helmet, too!

Quick Reply: Arai vs. Shoei