Rides Pics of Members CBR1000F's

My project bike: 1994 CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My project bike: 1994 CBR1000F

figured i'd start a post over here since i'll be coming to you guys for help at some point.

here are a couple pictures of the bike as is right now:

Name:  IMG00012-20100315-1931.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  IMG00013-20100315-1931.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  99.8 KB
Name:  IMG00014-20100315-1932.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  78.2 KB

the bike is a 1994 honda cbr1000f. i picked it up fairly cheap not running, but i plan on having it running soon. i have spark, i have compression, now i need the fuel to make it all work. the bike's a 998cc 600 pound monster of a bike, but thats what i was looking for. my father owns an '87 hurricane, so i already know ill love this bike. the plastics are not on it right now since im working on it. a few of them are scuffed, scratched, and cracked, but i have plans on fixing them...sorta. here is what the bike would look like if everyone was in perfect condition:

im not a giant fan of the color scheme anyway, so i have plans on spray bombing it all after its running well again. paint ideas? my first thought is matte black and id just do small subtle accents of red, like the pegs, bar ends, and timing covers.

after i get it running right i have plans on first hitting the exhaust to make this puppy scream. i ran my old bike off the collector for a while and loved the sound of it when you get past about 5k RPM. however, down low it sounds pretty poopy since there was absolutely no mufflers on it. therefore, im going to do something custom. the bike currently has the stock dual muffler setup, but i am planning on ripping those off and modifying the header so it would only exit on the right side of the bike like most new bikes do. however, i am going to buy a system that was meant for a 09-10 CBR1000RR. how do you guys think this system will look on my bike?

modifying it to fit isnt going to be the hard part. modifying the bracket on the mufflers to work on my bike is going to be the hard part, although it shouldnt be that bad. either way i want a shorty setup and i want it to be loud. the bike stock is VERY quiet and i dont want to get run over.

i also plan on lowering this bike some. ill need to make a custom lowering link for the back (or buy a new retarded expensive rear shock with a shorter spring) and ill just drop the tubes a little in the front to lower it there. unless you guys have some other suggestiong for this?

at some point i hope to rip into the motor, add the big bore forged piston set, and slap a turbo on this beast. for now, though, all i want to do is get it running and ride it.

any ideas? im open for suggestions and comments.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Hi, Firstly let me just say that the bike looks pretty good already, just some panels and a fiddle and away you go maybe

Secondly, i'm English so our opinions on custom differ greatly. I couldn't think of anything worse to do to a hurricane than lowering it just to mess up the handling and ground clearance, and then adding a turbo so you can only go fast in a straight line, lol. Is it going to be purely a drag bike? If so then ignore that last paragraph

Thirdly, I like the colour scheme, as i don't think we get that colour over here so it looks nice to me, and changing the colour of a bike to what could possibly be only your choice of colour usually devalues a bike and makes it hard to sell on at a later date. I've seen so many great (in the opinion of the owners) colour schemes that everyone laughs at for being horrible.

There you go, you asked for opinions so you have mine. You may get a load of Americans come on and say your ideas are wonderful but in England they sound daft, lol.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do to it and keep us updated on pics so i can see if i like it or not. I just hope you don't do that custom paint job and i end up liking it or i'll have to eat my words

Later dude, Gaz

Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
the bike stock is VERY quiet and i dont want to get run over.
The whole "loud pipes save lives" thing is a myth. Bikes with loud exhausts are actually involved in more accidents than bikes with stock exhausts. A loud exhaust isn't going to make people notice you unless you're right beside them and they have their window open -- the noise is directed behind the bike. Most car/bike accidents are caused by a car turning or pulling out in front of the bike.

I think the South Park Harley episode should be stickied

Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM

agreed on the loud pipes thing.

this bike is mainly going to be used as my cruiser and i dont intend on taking it to a road racing track at all. i have plans to ride it around on the street and maybe if i get ambitious ill take it to the drag strip to see how fast she can go. other than that i just want a nice bike to ride the streets. i know this bike will suit my needs. the reason i plan on lowering is purely cosmetic. i have plans on mocking up a new rear link and add a little length to it.

as for the color, i dont really care about selling it. i had plans to keep this bike for a long time. i can say that i am a fan of the hurricane because of its build quality, reliability, and size of it. when i want a bike to turn corners ill buy a new one and keep this one for running around the street.

the pipes being loud saving lives, i know. its not very true at all, but i like using it as an excuse. the only exhaust out there that fits (unless im mistaken) is the V&H set, which i dont want. i dont really want to do slip ons either since i want to go to a single outlet. i also just want the bike to be louder by a considerable amount than stock. if running it off the collector sounded good at lower RPMs id just do that and be done.

either way, ill update this thread as it goes on to show you guys what im up to.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:00 PM

With regards to statistics showing that loud pipes don't work, maybe the stats show that because people with loud pipes tend to ride differently (read faster) than the average rider on a nice stock quiet bike, so therefore end up crashing more. I don't think it's anything to do with the loud pipes but a reflection of the type or rider in both scenarios.......

You gotta love loud pipes though, lol.

Gaz

P.S. Look forward to the pics of the ugly slammed hurricane, only joking mate

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 AM

i will probably only drop the bike like 1" or 1.5" around to not mess it up too much. i still want to be able to take a hard corner if i want to, but i already know these bikes like to scrape pegs in stock form. im just looking for a little meaner of a stance with it, that's all.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Why not drop the front a bit and jack the back a bit too, then clear away the back mudguard etc to clean up the back end and it may give you a more aggressive look but corner better too
It would give you a steeper head angle and a bit more front weight bias, add some sticky tyres and you may have a fast street bike. Just a thought......

Gaz

Old 03-23-2010, 04:28 PM

its probably the way i go about it at first. the lowering link will put the bike out of comission for a period of time. i would rather have it running and see how she reacts to how i drive.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 PM

It's nice to see i still have powers of persuasion, now if i can just get the girlfriend to do what i want, lol.

Gaz

Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM

nah, we just think alike. dropping the tubes on the front end is easy and i had plans on dropping it an inch in the front pretty much right away.