Rides Pics of Members CBR1000F's

Firedragon from Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firedragon from Cape Town

Hi everyone!

Newby here - Well new to the CBR crowd as well as the forum!
In the process of purchasing a CBR 1000 F Hurricane (1990) - Should take delivery of the bike on Tuesday once all the paperwork is sorted

Quite exited to get her as she is in absolute mint condition (despite her age) and has only done 17 300 km - Thats just over 10 000 miles

Ive broused around the forum and havent yet come across the same colour scheme - this is one of the standard schemes available here in SA as far as I understand

I hope to have many a pleasant trip with her and many apleasant chat on the Forum!

Name:  0384n58_20.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  IMG-20110311-00041-1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  IMG-20110311-00037.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20110311-00034.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  90.4 KB

Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking bike and in real good nick by the look of it, wot sort of $$ do you pay for something like that in SA

Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Thanks Jarvid!

I paid 25 000 Rand - at the current exchange rate should be just over $3000 - Whats the going rate for similar over there?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Welcome to the funny farm - pity the Stormers can't play rugby and the Cobras are hopeless at cricket..........
I hate to rain on your parade but your bike is a Mk1, either 87 or 88 model, nice as it surely is. R25K......hmmmmmm

Ive broused around the forum and havent yet come across the same colour scheme - this is one of the standard schemes available here in SA as far as I understand

That is definitely a repray - was never a standard colour anywhere in the world. Not even here.

Go Sharks !! hehe

A warm welcome again, from the land of the Zulus......

Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Welcome Crew

Hey firedragon, even if it is a bit older then u thought, it is still a cracking looking bike, as for the price here in Oz $3k does not get u anything near as perty as that...
Speaking cricket, didn't SA just get beaten in the world cup by the Netherlands or something.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Nope, not us.....................we can play cricket, hehe
Ponting failed again I see - against Kenya - hehehe. Time to put him out to pasture, Jarvid

It surely is a great looking Mk1, certainly one of the best I've seen.
Just trying to correct a possible problem, such as when ordering spares -Most Mk2 parts won't fit Mk1 as those of us who've been here for ever (sometimes it feels like it) - can testify.

Enjoy your new baby !

Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 AM

Thanks Shadow - Well I noticed its a Mk1 - But according to the registration papers it was registered frst time in 1990 - Hence technically its a 1990 model (he he)

Is it an issue to get parts here in SA?

As far as the sprayjob goes yes it was resprayed - but he showed me pics of the bike before the respray and they copied what was on the bike - So maybe a previous owner had it sprayed this colour?

In any case the bike is as neat as a pin - you can remove any panel and underneath looks the same... Due to age all the water pipes have alse been replace (seems about 4 years ago) and the previous owner has a suspension guru in the family so ell the bits have been re-dne as well

All in all the bike sounds and goes great - last fix is being done now - a noisy cam chain - though reading through the forum it may be the tensioner and not the chain?

If all goes well I will collect the bike next week Tuesday - Wednesday on the outside

Thanks for the warm welcome!

PS - I am intentionally not mentioning the rugby....

Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 AM

Is it an issue to get parts here in SA?

Very difficult - these bikes were never imported into RSA by Honda, so unless you can find one that's been broken/parted out, you may have problems. Local Honda parts guys are hopeless, and the prices are ridiculous !!! Body panels are just unobtainable here, whichever model you own.
Best place for second hand parts is www.e-bay.UK
New parts from www.mrcycles.com in the US
or www.wemoto.com
davidsilverspares is good in the UK
Try Electrex UK when your regulator dies (which it will eventually) Their part is cheaper and FAR better than the Honda one, and has a 1 year guarantee (Honda has NO guarantee) and is twice the price.
Camchain - should NOT need one at that mileage......? if you plan to replace, use one with a masterlink or you'll have to split the motor. Takasago and DID both make chains with a masterlink. Those you can buy here, but I'd fit the uprated camchain tensioner (R1000 ) from wemoto or David Silver. The uprated one fits all models.

If you need a workshop manual look in our manual section.

Give me a shout if you need any help.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Red face

Thanks again Shadow!

Hoping I will not need parts any time soon though, have already downloaded the workshop manual

The guy Im buing the bike from is having the cam chain sorted - he mentioned it has a flat spot - does not make too much sense to me - I know car engines quite well but not bike engines - guess I will learn quick enough though

Oh and yes they are doing the chain with the masterlink - But it does mean they will have to cut the original chain that is still on there - as he explained to me it is the OEM endless chain still in there...

And yeah I am a bit sceptical about the low mileage - However he has only put 5K on it in the last 6 years he owned it and the previous owner had it in storage for almost 6 years...

Just hope its a decent buy - the price sounds reasonable - Suppose I will know quite quikly if I bought a dud...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Hi FireDragon,

That's a really great looking Mk1 ... but then I'm prejudiced! lol! That Acra must have cost a small fortune when it as new, probably as much as my bike it worth! Bet it sounds sweet.

Hope you stick around and tell us about your adventures together ... and dont forget piccys!

shakey

Quick Reply: Firedragon from Cape Town