Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Metzeler M-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metzeler M-3

When I got my cbr600rr this weekend, I went to the local cycle shop. I wanted to get the Michelin pilot power for the rear tire. Well, they were all out, but the guy pointed out alternatives. My friend with a 2000 yamaha r6 that I helped build for him got a Metzler sportec m-1 last week. I've ridden it around and has pretty good grip.

Anyhow, he said that Metzler just released their new line of super sport tires called the Metzler sportec m-3. It was only like 5 bucks more then the m-1 and seems a bit better. I've only been extensively used to dunlop 208 cheap tires and they really slip a lot, specially when the road is semi-cold. So, I get the tire and I'm liking it so far.

One thing is that Metzler does not have the sportec m-3 listed anywhere on their site.

This is a link for their M-1 line. The cycle shop guy said they just released the tire like this week. Anyone heard of it and know of any reviews of them? Suppose to be on par or better then pilot powers.
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/en_85...me=SPORTEC_M-1

Old 01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Metzeler M-3

yo mang...stop blaming the tires for slip and what not. 208s warm up pretty fast...but you have to remember that if the road is cold, the tire will cool as well when you stop.
also, if you're all jerky and what not, it's not going to help. nice and smooth.

as far as the m3s and the PP...why are you only changing the rear tire? you should actually change both so both tires have the same tread pattern or are designed to work with one another.
M1's are great, but if m3s are anything like them, crappy wear.

they so sell them at ronayers.com

as far as wear, doesn't say anything about them being dual compound so, although sticky, they may not last long.

check out diablos...too

Old 01-31-2006, 03:44 PM

changed out cause dunlop tire was worn down to the belt. I'll prolly change the front tire after I get the bike fixed up better and when its better riding conditions. But even when it was 70 degrees outside, the tire would still slip when going around a 35mph curve when I get low enough to acclerate through the apex of the turn. This would be after 15 mins of riding around to warm up the tire.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 PM

hey mang...you think that maybe the tire was close to the end of its life? that's the only time my pirelli gives out. also if you accelerate too early or too hard out of a turn, many tires will break free.

check out diablos...the stick is right there with PP and it's dual compound. only difference between PP and diablo is the profile and tread pretty much. PP has a greater max lean angle and the tread pattern and profile allows it to get into the turns quicker...feels like dives right in. Diablos is fairly neutral and makes you feel in total control and very stable.

both are dope tires though...and you won't mind with either one. i really think both will give you more mileage than the M3s

Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 PM

just a little FYI. The only tires I've sported so far has been dunlops 208 as they were cheap and decent. I've ridden about 9,000 miles and my f2 has been through 2 tires so far (1/2 done on 3rd dunlop). They are good normal tires and decent for leaning, but their sidewalls aren't up to par with other tires i've seen sold for higher price (go figure).

Now the 600rr needed a new tire when I got so I replaced it. The cycle shop was out of pilots and m-1's for my size and never heard of the m-3's. That was my question if anyone has heard of them and seen any reviews. Anyhow, to answer my own question, the cycle shop actually got the first shipments of the new sportec m-3 tires on sunday (when I got the tire on). Their website doesn't have anything on them since it hasn't been officially press released. One magazine though has a review about the new m-3's saying its just as good as the m-1's but better in some areas. It provides better wet traction, warms up quicker, but doesn't get too hot to loose tire wear. Its advertised to give better miles out of the tire then m-1's but didn't say by how much. Although the cycle shop said the life would get an extra 1000 miles or two.

Anyone else find more info about this new tire?

Btw, I paid 159.99 for the tire itself. Taxes and other stuff for the tire made it out to be about 180 bucks. Retail is suppose to be 209 or something like that for 180 size.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM

at that price, it's significantly more than any other tire out there...you could've gotten a good track tire for that price...should've gone with another...for an extra 30-50 bucks, you'd have a whole set delivered to your door...add like 30 for mount and balance front and back...take your pick...diablos, powers, or qualifiers.

i know guys who use the 208ZR and consistently out tracked everyone else and had the best times...granted they were not running in the advanced group.

a lot of it has to do with the rider mang...

Old 02-03-2006, 05:06 PM

Tahoe is talking about internet prices for tires. You will always pay more from your local dealer. But, some dealers won't mount and balance for you unless you buy the tires from them.

I use 208s myself, but I've been told that the PPs are much better. I also read an article somewhere praising the M3s that you got. Also, the new Dunlop Qualifiers are supposed to be on par with the PPs. Good luck with your tires.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:02 PM

well...i've tried all on the track...and i like them all differently and they all stuck awesome...but most predictable was diablo and stable as well. dunlop and pp dove in, which was good for late braking where i had to outbrake someone into a corner but as far as fluidness...diablos better.

qualifiers mang...gotta try that...

Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Tahoe . .here's an article on the Qs --->best street tire?

Old 02-04-2006, 11:50 PM

yea mang...i saw this...i think now i may be able to finally match my sticker with mah tire again!

Quick Reply: Metzeler M-3