Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Dunlop Qualifier's

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Qualifier's

Bike: 1994 CBR 600

Size of tires: 160/60 ZR17 rear....120/60 ZR17 front

Psi: Set for hard back road riding

Rear: 36 lbs. Front: 35

Having tried Avon Viper's, Dunlop DOT Race tires, and now the Qualifier's...I'll be brief and to the point.

Profile of the tire is somewhere between hard street and Track day type. Slight crown in the middle, with notceable slants on
the sidewalls.

In other words, not moderatley and consistently shaped like say the Viper's are.

Warm up: These tires are great for sliding around until warmed up. And I mean a good solid warm up. 15-20 miles of moderate riding,
5 miles of moderate to hard riding,

Do not go to leaning full bore until you have heat all the way across the profile of the tire, especially the rear.

Aceleration: Dunlop claims these tires have noticeable and superior acceleration qualities compared to a lot of other sport tires
due to construction, both inner and outer, and overall less weight.

I read this claim, AFTER, I noticed my bike accelerated much quicker than usual. So I believe this claim.

Overall: If I had to use a 1-10 scale...well, depends on how hard you ride.

If you are gonna use these for track use only, they probably are better than most, again, once hot...

On the street, the sidewalls are a bit harsh over your typical pothole or cement bump...not the best street only tire.

As far as wear:

They have over 500 miles on them, and seem almost new, with about 150 of those miles taken as fast as I dared on the tarmac
I was on at the time.

I will say, that since a better technique in my riding style, I am going faster through corners, yet have chicken strips a half inch wide.

Rating...8.0

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Dunlop Qualifier's

Nice write up. Care to edit and compare the other tires in your rating scale?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

I noticed my bike accelerated much quicker than usual. So I believe this claim.
A noticeable improvement in acceleration? Are you serious?[sm=burnout.gif] I was having a hard time choosing between the Q's or a set of M-3's...I may have to go with the Dunlops first, then try the Metzelers if this is true...then if Michelin ever takes the 2CT's off of recall, I'll try those.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 AM

the 2ct's were front tires only

Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Nice write up. Care to edit and compare the other tires in your rating scale?
Sure, my day off...why not...

In contrast to the Dunlop Qualifiers, let's take the Avon Viper's.

These are very neutral, very sticky overall, and very predictable tires, especially on the street where they really are better tires than the
Race tires and the Qualifier's.

The profile of the viper's is very consistent across the edge to the middle and back. In other words, unlike pure race tires
there is no crown in the middle for high speeds, nor a huge slant on the sides to make throwing a bike into a corner much
easier and to broaden the available rubber to tarmac contact at extreme lean angles.

I've owned two sets of these, same size as the Dunlop's, and though having never taken them to a track,
I have been on track quality surfaces with them.

These tires are kind of like a stock CBR itself.

Very neutral, forgiving, and they soak up potholes and give grip on the streets better than any tire I have ever tried.

Flickable, predictable.

Street Riding: 8.5

Track:???

Dunlop Race Take Off's...ones that WoodyRacing sent me.

These tires were the DOT, race spec, near race slick quality tires I took out to Cresson.

Same sizes, except the front was a 120/70, as opposed to a 120/60.

On the Track, I never felt anything nervous about the tires at all. Lot's of grip, both coming and going, and a noticeable and
easier fall into the turns.

Warmed up very quickly, and stayed warm or maybe they were just grippy as hell because they were basically slicks with tiny
slivers cut out to make them just street legal.

I'll never know how long they would have lasted a half a rack day and past 300 miles, as I got a huge nail in the rear...
and..well...had to change to some other rubber.

Probablt my favorite feeling tires of all, though they were a bit stiff just off the crown of the tire, which makes sense,
since this is where on the track you would be transitioning from straight up to horizopntal, and don't want any flexing
in the carcass.

**** for potholes, but they are for the track....not crusiing about town.

Track: 9.0

Street: 7.5

Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: PHXf4i

the 2ct's were front tires only
You mean that were on recall, yes. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's are available in rears 160, 180, and 190. The fronts are now back on the market.

BTW, thanks for the info bmg, appreciate it.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Retired Administrator

I'm sorry, all I was really asking you if you would care to add the rating at the bottom of your first write up. Like the blah gets an 8 and the blah blah gets an 2....

But hey, thanks for the extra work.