Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Best stand

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best stand

I heard Pitbull was the best stand...what would you guys recommend? Also, are stands strong enough to hold a 220 lb. rider sitting on them?

The below pics are from http://moto-madness.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=315...I can't tell ifthis comes with THREE stands or TWO???

Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Best stand

comes with two....the front stand is shown being folded down and locked upright....

also, they probably ARE strong enough to HOLD a rider, but don't do it.....i doubt they are stable enough to handle the movement you would cause...i can wiggle mine fine, but i bet if i tried to get on it, it might shoot the stand right out if i move it the right way...plus, there is no reason to have a bike on stands AND be on it...i can't think of any good reasons....

Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers
plus, there is no reason to have a bike on stands AND be on it...i can't think of any good reasons....
I want to practice doing a switchback before i do one while moving...this is a switchback incase you dont know:

Old 11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Users

well....i guess that is ONE reason...lol...but i wouldn't try that on your stands.....if you are actually going to try that movement, you are going to be bouncing on your stands....unless you have spools (even if you do probably) the rear stand holds up the bike by two little arms on the swingarm...enough shimmying around on it will likely cause one to maybe slide off or even the wheel on the rear stand to slip out....since rear stands put the bike up a considerable distance, if it comes off the stand or it breaks loose, it's going to come down hard and break stuff.....if you don't care, then go and try, but i just don't think stands are meant to have something like that done on them....just my .02 cents

Old 11-07-2007, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

well....i guess that is ONE reason...lol...but i wouldn't try that on your stands.....if you are actually going to try that movement, you are going to be bouncing on your stands....unless you have spools (even if you do probably) the rear stand holds up the bike by two little arms on the swingarm...enough shimmying around on it will likely cause one to maybe slide off or even the wheel on the rear stand to slip out....since rear stands put the bike up a considerable distance, if it comes off the stand or it breaks loose, it's going to come down hard and break stuff.....if you don't care, then go and try, but i just don't think stands are meant to have something like that done on them....just my .02 cents
spools are in the mail...i appriciate the advice...can u think of another way to practice other than having 2 large guys holding either end of my bike while i do it? Also, what is the best (strongest, best quality) brand of stand?

Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Users

the spools will help in terms of grip, BUT you are still running the risk of motioning the bike enough to loosen a wheel....now i am no stand expert and i have never tried this so don't take what i am saying as law...i am just going on having my bike on a stand and feeling how it feels up there....

as for best stands, i have no idea...i have a set of "cheapy" T-Rex stands off ebay...front and rear for about $100 and they work great for working on my bike...in fact, my bike is up on the rear right now ....they are great for working on, but in terms of putting stress....ehh..i don't know...

also, i would DEFINITELY not do this if you had it up on both stands....then the bike is completely suspended probably close to 4 inches in the air by the stands and if it comes down, man i would be worried...

in terms of practicing the switch back....i dunno what the best way would be....seems to me, having someone hold the bike would be the safest.....i don't know, unless you build something with braces to hold the bike....maybe ask in the stunter's corner for how they practice it...let us know, i am curious...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM

I've used a ton of different stands: LP, Vortex, Handy, T-rex, Power Stands, and more. Pit Bull are definately the best, and Woodcraft are a very close second. Both are expensive, but with stands you do get what you pay for.

If you want to be able to get up on your bike an move around up there (to a point - Side to side movment is iffy, but back and forth is fine). You can do it using a spooled rear stand and a under the triple front. like these:
Pitbull - Front: http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...72aa008f17adbd
Woodcraft - Front: http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...Category=12767

With my current Pit bull set-up and have no issues getting up on my bike when it's on BOTH standsand moving around, including hanging off the side working on my body position, the bike is very stable, butI wouldn't try that with any of the cheaper stands that I've used in the past.
If you want a good price on pit bull stands, PM andI'll give you theinfo.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:44 PM

I have a set of power stands and I rols my bike around on them but I do not think it would take movement like your talking about.
I was thinking what you could do is get a wheel choke and put the bike in it and use tie downs to hold it in place ? ? ? I am not a stunter but it may work ? what do you guys think ?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 PM

If you're going to practice that movewith the bike on a rear stand I'd recommend using a spool type rear stand but don't lift the bike at the spools. Slip a steel rod through the rear axlewith plenty of excess lengthand lift the bike at the rod. If you get real crazy wild in getting the bike moving sideways you should probably have someone spot you. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PITBULL [sm=signs007.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Best stand