Need advice on 125R

Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 AM
Default Need advice on 125R

Hey folks Im in Canada. Currently I drive a scooter, an Aprilia SR50, but I think I'd like to step up the power... and look cooler...

The CBR125R looks interesting but I have some questions if anyone wants to help

1) The tires are super skinny. How's the ride? Why so skinny? What's the deal? How's it handle in the rain?

2) How fast will it go? 120? 140? bout 12 seconds 0-100kph right?

3) What are the maintenance costs like? How often is the scheduled maintenance? What is the average cost for that?

4) What's the torque like? a 125cc 4 stroke sounds like it might slow down a little going up hill..

If you have one would you recommend it? Anything I should know?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Default RE: Need advice on 125R

The 125 is really cheap - that's the big bonus. It is no where near the bike the ninja 250 is... the lack of power is an issue.

Top speed is < 140 and probably more realisitically 120 km/h.

It will get great gas mileage, it will be cheap to insure... it will make a great commuter. It also will be alot of fun to ride hard - without worrying about big speeding tickets.

If I were you AND wanted something cheap I'd consider the 125... but a used 250 would be my money at the moment for an ONLY bike. If I were allowed to have 2, then I'd get the 125.

1) They are skinny because you don't need a wide tire for big HP. The bike will turn in quickly. The narrower tire will resist hydroplanning more than a flatter wider tire. Plus they're cheaper.

2) 120km/h

3) Cheap. No idea. No idea. An oil change costs the same for every bike - this one will save money on tires and chains.

4) It's a 125. It will never be a super sport. It will be fun though. I'd be concerned if you wanted to spend alot of time on the highway - this isn't a highway bike. You can ride it on the highway safely, but it's not going to be joyous. She'll feel really happy at 80-100km/h. This bike was built to be revved... and she'll need revving to go fast. Break-in period could suck.

I'd recommend it is an in town commuter - a twisty road toy - or a second bike. I'd not recommend it for highway trips.

Woot.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 AM

I called around and theyre sold out thru MARCH 08 [:-]

Old 06-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Where in Canada - have a look around at other dealers - I think there were some left here (NS)

Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 PM

lol. And how do I get it to Ontario from NS? With an excruciatingly sore back and *** after a 29 hour ride? :P

Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM

What do you mean by the way by this bike was meant to be revved? Can you define that?

This is a super loser question btw- but coming from automatic scooters... how do you shift up and down on a 'real' bike?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Mistersprinkles

lol. And how do I get it to Ontario from NS? With an excruciatingly sore back and *** after a 29 hour ride? :P
You could throw it in the back of a van or rent a trailer.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Some cars and most cruisers are built to have low revs and good torque. Almost all sportbikes are built to be rev happy horsepower machines.

The 125 is certainly built to be rev happy

To shift - rev the hell out of it - ease off the throttle, grab the clutch, bang it into the next gear, ease off the clutch and wrap the throttle (That's the rough way to do it - just try to do that gently)

Old 06-21-2007, 02:00 AM

so there's a ninja 250? I havent seen it for sale in Canada...
The only Kaw 250 I know of is the ZZR which I understand handles like a horse that's been shot in the leg. With Asthma, on a whiskey bender.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:20 PM

I luckily was able to get my hands on one. My dealer tells me that remaining ones are scarce.

I'm 185lbs and have managed to find 115kph. The wind needs to work with you, not against.

That said, it is a GAS to drive. Honda has achieved their goal with me - I want more power and I know that I'll have to pay for it. Oh well - I could've seen that coming.

This is a GREAT learning machine and to be honest, a totally different experience then driving a scooter. I double dog dare you to move up to large(r) diameter tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on 125R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.