Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

The Wife Wants to Start Riding...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Wife Wants to Start Riding...

...and I am not thrilled about the idea!! I know, I know, it's not right for me to object to her riding, but...dalm....a street bike!?! We have always rode quads together, but this is a whole new ball game...and a much more dangerous one at that!! We are already making plans to put her through a three day class and then a follow up class, but dalm...a street bike!?! I have a friend that is a girl and she started in a very similar way that my wife will be starting. She had NEVER rode a motorcycle in her life and she went through the same course my wife will go though against her husbands better/worse judgment. She says that I am being paranoid and I need to chill out!! She is probably correct, but dalm...a street bike!?!

Last edited by Alaska; 04-07-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Not really worried about the bill. My primary concern is for her well being! I guess I am just going to have to suck it up, because she has her heart set on riding! The good news is that she wants my bike and I get to go shopping for a new bike...a bigger bike!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I definitely understand your concerns. However, you have to live & let live. My situation was very similar to yours. My wife wanted to start riding on the street as well. She grew up in the country & regularly rode 4 wheelers & dirtbikes. But, she'd not ridden on the street. So, she did have experience in riding as far as clutch control, braking, turns, etc...just not on the street. She took the MSF course for refreshing her skills & to learn street riding.

After the MSF course, she practiced in large parking lots on her SV650 to get comfortable on the bike, etc. She practiced the MSF exercises a-l-o-t. She was already very coordinated & understood riding. However, the MSF course & practice honed her stills. After practicing in parking lots, she started riding short distances around our neighborhood at first, getting used to the controls, shifting, braking, etc. When she was more comfortable, she began riding to/from work on a daily basis. We live near some great riding spots...canyons & twisties. We take long rides as much as possible. Additionally, she rides trackdays w/ me all the time. I consider her a great rider.

Once again, I truly understand your position & apprehension. However, if she approaches riding in an educated & responsible manner (w/ your help), she'll be a great riding companion for many rides to come.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

I understand wanting to protect your sweetie. Think of how much fun it will be though to have a riding partner all the time- and there are plenty of guys who will be jealous of you for having a girl who supports your hobby and does it with you.

Start her small, give her good advice, and support her- it'll be worth it. I started on a Ninja 250 and actually surprised myself with how quickly I learned, even though it was rough to start with. Definitely do the MSF course, and just like gotcbr said, the whole parking lot > small streets > small trips > bigger trips progression is key.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM

Give her all the support you can. It's cool she's interested in your hobby.

Get her a 250, msf course and shell be all right.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what eeveryone else has said

Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 PM

Alaska you are a lucky guy. My wife wanted to ride her own bike and I supported her all the way. No more self loading baggage! She rides her own pace and we enjoy the time together but apart. 14 years ago she started. She is a better rider than a lot of the male riders around. Take advantage of her willingness to participate in a sport/lifestyle you enjoy. Embrace your good fortune!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 AM

You can do it together, that's the best thing. There'll be days you'll both go out on your own, but when you want, she won't have to be a passenger anymore.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by gump
Give her all the support you can. It's cool she's interested in your hobby.

Get her a 250, msf course and shell be all right.
Agreed 100%.

I also understand your concern though Alaska. To be concerned and worried about the well-being of someone you care about is only natural. It's not the safest of activities, to be sure.

But like gump and others have said, its very cool that you share an interest and I also believe you are a very lucky guy to have a woman who (I'm guessing) shares in the joy of riding with you; or at least is making an effort to participate and be a part of something about which you are passionate.

Quick Reply: The Wife Wants to Start Riding...