Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Start out with the right bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start out with the right bike

I just wanted to pass this along to anyone bike shopping. I have seen the people on this board buying CBR's and then putting higher clipons and other assorted mods to make the bikes more comfortable. I also see people on the Hornet and 599 boards complaining because of the lack of a top end rush or that the bike needs lower bars. I also read people buying cruisers and complain about the lack of a tachometer and such.

So here's the simple yet effective way of buying a bike. Don't buy what your friends think is cool but rather buy what YOU want. A CBR is a sportbike and there is no reason to spend lots of $$$ to make it handle or sit less like a sportbike. You want a more power or a sportier seating position out of your 599? Jack up the seat and slide a CBR under it. In the long run, you will get more reliability, durability, and enjoyment out of a bike that is correct for you out of the box rather than modding the thing to death.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Default RE: Start out with the right bike

^ Word.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM

good call!

and woe the squids that buy ss bikes straight outta the armed services....shrunken ********* and a demoralization of pride lend themselves quite well to becomming a road splat....i mean statistic...

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM

^ True that. Bikes are a good money pit for you to throw your enlistment/re-enlistment bonus into though lol.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM

I spent almost 2 years researching the type of bike I wanted, and the particular model. It went from a GSXR 750 when I knew nothing, then to a SV650, and I finally picked a F4I after learningon my Ninja 500 what I really liked about riding and wanted in my next bike.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Sorry to throw a monkeywrench into this thread, but I couldn't disagree more. In 2003, my 02 Kawi ZRX1200 was stolen and subsequently destroyed by it's new "owner"when he clipped a car going down I95 doing, according to the cops, 150 mph. So, I started looking for a cheap replacement. I found a used 95 CBR1000F with 12,000 miles on it going for $2000,so I jumped. I knew that I didn't like the riding position, especially for stop and go city riding (which I do alot of), but I figured "I can fix that". So I found a set of adjustable clip-ons on ebay that I got for $100, and I have been a happy camper ever since.
Now one thing I noticed about your post is what you didn't say. Probably, the most common mod done by people on this board is to swap out their stock exhaust in order to make more noise and/or gain a few ponies. Yet you don't mention this mod. You could have said that if you want a throaty exhaust, buy a Harley, and if you want more power, buy a Hayabusa. But you didn't. Why not? The point is, nobody makes a perfect bike straight out of the box for any particular rider. Thus, if someone likes the riding position of the Hornet but also wants the top end rush of a 600RR, what's he to do? It seems to me that it's a lot easier and cheaper to change the riding position on the CBR than it is to change the the power characteristics of the Hornet. So if an almost perfect bike can be made better for your riding style with a few mods, I say go for it.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM

RIGHT ON!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 AM

I think that when buying a first bike you should do all the research, test ride if possible and then buy a bigger bike! Most people decide on a smaller bike to start on if they are smart, then get bored after six months. I don't think that a novice should start on litre sized bike, but you're going to want more power at some point. Had a guy call me up and ask what mods he could do to make his Ninja 250 faster. I told him to trade up to a Ninja 500. You can throw a lot of money at a bike for minimal gains and possibly reduce reliability. I agree with doing a few mods to get your ride just like you want it. It's your ride, if you want to put apes on a supersport, it's your call. Being in the parts business I sell a lot of aftermarket kit so I know what people are doing to their rides. I won't give advice unless asked then I'll give my personal opinion. I've been riding since 1961 on all types of bikes so I think I know a little about the subject. (no, I'm not THAT old, just got started when I was 8!)

Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 PM

I still don't know about getting a bigger bike. I consider myself a responsible rider, but I know that some of the mistakes I make on my 500 could have been disasterous if I started on the F4i I have now. I know not everyone has the financials to get 2 bike within a short period of time, but riding a slow/ugly/uncool bike is better than never being able to ride/walk/talk again. And I agree with personalizing your ride to make it your own. But what I don't get is somebody spending hundreds of dollars on a 600 to get a few more horses out of it (for the street). In the end, you will still get blown away on the straights by a 1000, so why not start with that if you need the speed. Although I must admit to being a little hypocritical here. I've spent well over $1000 on my truck to make it faster, and in the end I'm left with a fast truck that will still get left in the dust by a fast car. The difference I can not buy a fast, 4X4 midsize truck so I must make my own. I can buy a bike inalmost any configuration I want if I take the time to see what's out there.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM

I think buying something (bike, car, truck, etc) and personalizing it is the coolest thing you can do.
Instead of spending more money on something faster make yours faster in your garage.
Instead of getting something more comfortable and having to sacraficeperformance get the faster bike and make it more comfortable. I love buying something that might not be perfect but trying to get it perfect is the funnest part of owning something.

I'm all for getting something that suites you but like it has been said before no manufacturer makes anything perfect. And if they did would you really want to own it. I mean everyone on the planet would own it and you would be on of the sheep in the herd. Or if you owned a Harley one of the sheep in wolves clothing. HAHAHA j/k.

Quick Reply: Start out with the right bike