Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

My son's first road rash

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My son's first road rash

My son has been riding his 600F for about 2 months now.

His first down was in a parking lot where I left him to practice while I ran an errand. When I returned he was licking his wounds. He came to a quick stop in first gear and lost his balance, and fell down.
Damage: Bike, a scuffed mirror and deep scrapes to the left lower plastic.
Rider, bruise on his shin and palm

The second time he didn't have the kick stand down.
Damage; Bike, scrapes to the right mirror.
Rider, ego

This time he know the meaning of road rash!
He was making a left turn from a light, late evening. Dew on the white lines and a bit too quick to accelerate left him down while the bike went high and slid into the curb.
Damage; Bike, destroyed the right mirror, all the plastic on the right side, throttle grip and right foot peg.
Rider, deep gouge in his left hip, bruised his left leg, sprained a finger on his right hand.

Fortunately he was only a couple of blocks from home and was able to limp it home.

I worked on getting it ready for him to ride to college the next morning while he was rummaging through the medicine cabinet.

He has armored riding gear.

Thankfully he wasn't in heavy traffic and a driver stopped to see if he was OK and helped him push his bike off the road.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Default RE: My son's first road rash

Sounds like he's making alot of simple mistakes that could be dangerous one day. Has he rode a bike before he got this? Did he take the MSF course yet?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 AM

He had signed up for the course and was practicing on his own the first time he dumped it.

Now he's completed the course and is riding on his own.

I wish I could say I'm totally comfortable with his abilities, but you know how it is when your Dad tries to give you advise.....

I just hope he decides whether this is really worth it.

I HAD my time on bikes when I was young. He is going to have to work this out for himself.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM

all you can do now, is be dad and try to help him where and when you can.
Forunately, his injuries werent too serious and he'll live.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Yes that's what I thought.

When he got the bike bug, I told him a few stories 'bout my days riding. I told him all the dangers, all the stupid drivers out there.

He insisted on getting a bike. He's a big boy now, all I can do is help him make informed decisions and help him with the bike so it will be as safe as it can be.
It's the beginning of fall here and he is just starting to ride. I had hoped he would have waited until spring at least.

He's a great guy and does respect my opinions but he is insistent on riding. I had at least hoped he would have started with something smaller than a 600F
Just couldn't find any decent bikes anywhere near the price of this one. Clean, well maintained, good weather ridden, garage parked. Actually cheaper than most smaller bikes. With the gas prices here smaller city bikes are selling better than the sport bikes.