Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

I hate my ninja 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my ninja 500

well i bought a ninja 500 as my first bike. it only had just over 20 000 kms. it is a 1993 but i mean it was cheap and just had work done to it and it looked in great shape. well getting it i hate it now. the front shocks got soft fast, and by no means am i overweight, the engine for some reason used oil. it ticks a bit, my chain and sprocket went. and now tonight i took it for a ride and my exhaust just cracked at the end. it doesnt like starting in this cooler weather either. i'm just so frustrated. and the worst part is, i'm ashamed to have it as a bike, its butt ugly and its just not a bike i would use to impress. i'm seriouslly thinking about financing a 2008 or 2009 cbr 600. seems to be the thing to do right about now.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Default RE: I hate my ninja 500

Agreed you should upgrade the last thing you want is a bike you hate.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM

How old are you, man? I think you should stick with the 500 until you learn the in's and out's of riding...

Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bike was probably not in the condition you thought it was when you brought it. Cold start problems sounds like carbs, battery, valves or improper choke use. That is usually fixable if it is a legitimate problem.

As for exhaust cracking that sounds like a drop.

And being embarased to be on two wheels? I mean I could understand being uncomfortable in a skin tight set of leathers two up on a scooter - but dude - it says ninja, has two wheels, and is probably your first bike. Ride it, get good - buy a bike when you're ready, not when you're tired of it's looks. That's poser-ish. It's not ALL about looks. Sure we buy bike we like the look of, but we don't ride bikes because other people like the look of them... if we did that we'd all be riding ducatis.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM

sounds like that bikes been ragged out little, I would still ride it though. If it runs and rides and has 2 wheels I'll run and keep it running till it finally falls apart. Also if you don't like how it runs or looks change it. I say adjust the valves, either fix the exhaust or get something new, and change the sprockets and chain.Send it my way, I'll give her agood home

Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 PM

i guess you guys are right, but at the way that this bike is breaking. its breaking me! like the exhaust crack is just the last straw. i am going to paint it thouhg. some scratches and it does have pink on it. if i do keep it , metallic black. i guess i should keep it and get good at riding, but its still not my favorite bike.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Psyco Diver 69

sounds like that bikes been ragged out little, I would still ride it though. If it runs and rides and has 2 wheels I'll run and keep it running till it finally falls apart. Also if you don't like how it runs or looks change it. I say adjust the valves, either fix the exhaust or get something new, and change the sprockets and chain.Send it my way, I'll give her agood home
no, wasnt ragged out, its just an EX500. they're polished turds and HORRIBLE bikes. they rank right up there with hyosung and yugo to me. NOTHING about a first generation EX500 is good. NOTHING. if you can keep it running, its a miracle, or has a 2nd gen engine. they're just polished pieces of ****. plain and simple.

the design is horrific, they suck power wise, the motor is completely outdated and akin to a harley, and frankly, the suspension is garbage at best. I've owned 3 of these bikes, it took me 2 years to finally see how awful they are.

my point, scrap that POS, dont sell it, it aint worth $100, and buy a bike you're happy with.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 PM

I never knew they were crap, my friend has had one, I think its a 96 or 97. Hes had itfor about 5 or 6 years now, now its his girls ride. Never had a issue really with it, he beat on it like most people would, laid it down 2 times, pretty rock solid bike. Maybe he got lucky but I always thought those bike were good machines

Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 AM

They are good machines...

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM

The bike I learned on was an '06 Ninja 500. I really loved that bike, powerful enough to do anything I needed on an interstate, but not too much for a new rider.

It seems that this guys' main complaint is the constant maintenance and the money it's costing him. A bike can be the prettiest in the world, but if it's constantly breaking down who gives a crap? Overall if the money isn't a huge issue, I'd stick with the Ninja. It's a great learner.

Quick Reply: I hate my ninja 500