Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Help from Dualsporters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help from Dualsporters

I have an F2 that is in the stages of a motor rebuild (WooHoo!). But I have been thinking lately about getting another bike, I was thinking a 07 600RR. I thought to myself though why have two street bikes? ( I will not give up the F2, I just put a lot of money into it) Then i thought make one a track bike because i have been wanting to get into that. So after a few weeks of thinking I came up with the idea of a Dualsport on road off road bike. I could use it to play around on the weekends and also ride it to work when i dont feel like riding the F2.

I have been researching Dualsports on the internet and I am thinking about investing in the DR-Z400s. From what I have read it will suit my needs. A guy claimed he had one up to 100mph ( I dont believe it ) however a guy said that his gps recorded him around 84mph and that would be great to have for when i ride it to work if i want to jump on the freeway I know that I won't be redlining trying to go the speed limit. The way the reviews read it is still a solid trail carver too which I am digging. ( now before people ask me can I handle it, I grew up on quads and dirt bikes)

Now my question is, Dualsporters what kind of bike do you have? Do you like it? what would your recomendations be? and what else should I look into? I was looking at Hondas (Yeah Honda Honda Honda!) but all they have as dualsports are a 230, which i think will be too small for the road/highway riding I will be doing, and a 650, which I think will be too big for carving the trails. I want something in the 400 range, it seems a happy medium.

Any thoughts, ideas, direction, comments all appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 AM

If you look hard/long enough, you will find a road converted XR400 or CRF450. I'm buying my time and waiting for funds to build up so I can replace my XT225 with one.

My XT is awesome on gas and is really a blast to ride as long as it's not over too long of a time (30min). You gotta remember these are still dirtbikes and aren't real comfy like a streetbike. Highways of 65+ are a no go for me, I've done it but could tell I was really pushing the bike.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 AM

That's why I am looking for something between a 350-450 so I can get on the road and do 65+ without having to worry about beating the bike. I have seen a few people talking about their CRFs and XRs being converted but like you said far and few between for sale. If I could find one of those cheap enough and then throw the light kit on it I was thinking about it, but the shocks would be setup for all dirt and no road right? where as the duals are set up in between the two.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM

I believe my shocks are setup for offroad just like any other dirtbike. If anything else you could just stiffen them up some when you get it. The floaty suspension is the best part in my eyes. What are your state regulations on converting offroad machines? Here in Wisconsin I'd have to jump the boarder in order to get a legit DOT title for any dirtbike like the XR/CRF. Title it in Michigan by selling it to some insider person and then just buy it right back with a title added from that state.

Anyways, the only real diffrence that I know of for the enduro style is the addition of lights ... thats it. That DRZ is lower to the ground and pretty poopy from the reviews I read. I think you'll be happier if you stick with the 400 class Honda idea. Are you lookin to make a Motard or dual sport. When you make a motard there's a lot of costs involed for updating brakes and changing rims/tires. That class might mess with suspension too, not sure.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM

I dont want a Motard thats what the F2 is for. I want the dualsport so on the weekends when my bro calls and says lets hit the trails I can just ride the road over to his place jump on the trail and ride the road back home instead of having to trailer the bike there. It will most likely get used a majority on trails then on the road. probably around a 60/40 usage.

I am not sure what the spec and regs are for a dirtbike getting titled, I havent looked into it becuase I have not given it too much thought.