Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

First Kneedown experience!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start slow and slowly after laps build up a bit more speed as the tire warms up.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low rpms meaning I was not in the range where all the power is. You need to be giving throttle the whole time because if you suddenly let off or give gas it can really throw the bike out of wack. For me getting the knee down gave me confidence to really lean the bike over, especially on the track. I think I should say that you really have to lean your body way off the bike at slow speeds, your *** has to be off the seat and your upper body has to be to the side of the bike, not on the gas tank. It will come with time and practice. Stay safe and be smart.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by geckert
Low rpms meaning I was not in the range where all the power is. You need to be giving throttle the whole time because if you suddenly let off or give gas it can really throw the bike out of wack. For me getting the knee down gave me confidence to really lean the bike over, especially on the track. I think I should say that you really have to lean your body way off the bike at slow speeds, your *** has to be off the seat and your upper body has to be to the side of the bike, not on the gas tank. It will come with time and practice. Stay safe and be smart.
i understand the throttle the upper body thing but as far as hanging your a$$ of you mean just one cheeck right? i mean everything i heard is just half. i dont want my whole a$$ hanging of the side ...do i?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Depends on the corner... on #7 on our local track I've got the very edge of my butt on the seat. On other corners I might be half on the seat.

Uphill vs downhill
Banked vs not banked vs off camber
s-turn vs sweeper

Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM

I personally hang my 1 entire cheek off the bike and my crack rests on the edge. If you are doing slow circles you will know if you need to lean off more beacause your pegs will scrap. You dont have to lean this much.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM

WORD OF CAUTION:
If you have all the weight on the inside peg when you scrape it - what then?

Knee should be down before the peg... otherwise you can jack the rear tire off the ground and have a very quick and unsaveable low side.

Here is my entry into corner 2. If you look under my right arm you can see the seat is empty.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM

ok so knee before peg but i know plenty of times when you here the peg scrape and your hanging of and you dont low side. not being smart just trying to understand....

Old 08-20-2009, 03:07 PM

If the peg can hinge up then you are probably fine... but it gets more and more risky the harder over you are and the more weight you have. On the street you might catch a bump in the road for example.

It is important NOT to support your full weight on the inside peg - if you do, then there is no way it can hinge. If it can't hinge, then it becomes a pivot point. Weight goes on it instead of the rear tire. IF you are at the edge - then that can be all it takes.

Now I have got pictures of my pegs - this is a case of do what I say, not what I do... but it is something to think about when you are riding on the edge.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM

For me the knee is a gauge... when the knee touches I know I'm at about my limit. Some fantastic riders do all kinds of things, but I'm not one of them

Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM

I think it'd be funny to drive by a parking lot and see some guy on a bike going in circles...

-Chad

Quick Reply: First Kneedown experience!