Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

First Kneedown experience!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kneedown experience!

I finally got my kneedown today in a parking lot!!!!!! It was pretty awesome and I had no idea how far you must lean off and lean the bike to get the knee on the deck. I was doing wide circles to the left then wide circles to the right with no success. Then i tried doing tighter and tighter circles and all of a sudden I hear scraping! So i pull up and realize it was just my foot peg and toe sliders. That shook me up so I took a break. After my break I adjusted my body positioning and soon enough i felt my left leg hit the ground and my kneepuck started gliding over the surface. With a big smile i stood the bike up and leaned to the right and planted my right puck on the pavement for a few circles. It was excellent and I have alot more confidence now for when I get out onto the sticky racetrack where I can really test my leaning.

Last edited by geckert; 06-13-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Awesome work! Congrats on the experience, its a cool feeling!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to get my knee down. Is there such things as knee pucks without wearing leather pants

Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Yeah, nice job. I've got stubborn 1/4 inch chicken strips I've been trying to remove, lol. But I'm getting there.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 AM

Funny thing about getting a knee down is that you work on it for a long time on the track - a few days - for some people longer. And then? It all comes together. I touched down in turn #9, and after that turn 2,3, all the way around 9... what a feeling.

Still lots to work on - even if you touch your knee, you can still get off the bike more and you still can work on the upper body.

As for the chicken strips - if you are off the bike properly and riding like a sane person on the street, you will have them. 1/4" is really nothing. It will take track pace to melt them off

Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 PM

Knee down is one of those 'never forget your first time' things for sure.

The first time I did it on the track i wasnt expecting it and you have that reaction to pull your knee back up.

After that, you're away, on the track I have my knee down everywhere and of course there are no chicken strips in sight. I have ridden on the road for years and never got my knee down, I have no intension of ever doing it either.

In my opinion, you just can not trust road surfaces enough to risk those kind of lean angles, a bit of spilt fuel or oil and the necessary lean angle to drag your knee, and you are off, which less face it is gonna hurt and cost you a lot of money, just so you could say, 'I got my knee down'.

I have chicken strips on my road bike and always will have!!

Here are pics of my track riding and road riding (please excuse my riding a Yamaha in my spare time) Haha

Name:  IMG_3767.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  RossiRep.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  111.8 KB

Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by geckert
I finally got my kneedown today in a parking lot!!!!!! It was pretty awesome and I had no idea how far you must lean off and lean the bike to get the knee on the deck. I was doing wide circles to the left then wide circles to the right with no success. Then i tried doing tighter and tighter circles and all of a sudden I hear scraping! So i pull up and realize it was just my foot peg and toe sliders. That shook me up so I took a break. After my break I adjusted my body positioning and soon enough i felt my left leg hit the ground and my kneepuck started gliding over the surface. With a big smile i stood the bike up and leaned to the right and planted my right puck on the pavement for a few circles. It was excellent and I have alot more confidence now for when I get out onto the sticky racetrack where I can really test my leaning.
how fast were you going. im always afraid to lean to much when going to slow. i dont want to practice leaning going to fast cuz if i fall bad news.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 AM

Yea it was a very exciting moment. I was in 3rd gear very low rpms doing circles about 25 feet wide. The low rpms felt safer to me then running it in high 1st gear since if i did something stupid with the throttle there would not be alot of torque to throw me on the ground. Yea if getting your knee down is something you really want to do and you wanna be 'smart' about it, an empty parking lot is a good choice. I now have 500+ track miles and dragging knee only annoys me because I have to keep buying pucks...

Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM

so third gear low rpms like how low? like 4 5 or like low as in 6 8

Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by chetman7
I can't wait to get my knee down. Is there such things as knee pucks without wearing leather pants
umm no and I wouldnt recommend trying it w/o leathers on lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Kneedown experience!