Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Cold Weather Riding Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather Riding Gear?

What do you guys wear when you are riding in cooler weather?

I wanna upgrade my cool weather riding gear since I typically ride til end of October. It's only September and in Minnesota, the mornings are only 40 - 50 degrees... I just wear a hoody, bandana to cover my chin, and a thin cloth glove over my riding gloves... trying to find a better war to stay warm and not be so bulky.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM

I've ridden as low as about 20 degrees (Fahrenheit). Be VERY careful with cold tires anywhere near this range.

Full face helmet is a must. On the colder days I wore a beanie to keep my ears warm.

Thermal underwear, usually just pants, but on really cold days, shirt too.

Two pairs of socks. Two pairs of khaki pants, two shirts, and a leather or windbreaker jacket.

Really good set of leather windproof gloves are a MUST.

edit: this IS bulky, but it worked for me. Less bulky solutions can be had, but for a decent amount of coin.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago a truck driver told me about the following. He said that since a scuba diving wetsuit keeps people warm when diving in ice water you'd think it would keep you warm in cold air. He was right.

For many years I wore a wetsuit under my regular clothing whenever the temps were below freezing and I went for a ride. Sometimes the temp would be in the single digits and all it looked like I had on was a lightweight jacket. People would stare. I was warm.

I now do bicycle rides in sub freezing weather and I've found that a pair of thermal long johns under everything else really makes a difference. Keep your core body temp warm and the extremities will follow. Layering also helps to wick away moisture, instead of one big, heavy article of clothing.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
scuba diving wetsuit .
why the hell did I never think of that? I'm in FL, so when it drops to 40 I start feeling like a pansy on the bike

Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I've found that a pair of thermal long johns under everything else really makes a difference
+1. Layering is key. I wear thick wool socks with boots. Under the pants are a pair of long-john thermals. On top I have a thermal shirt, a sweat shirt, and then a Mountain Hardware wind proof jacket topped off with the leather. Buy a nice set of thermal gloves from motorcycle closeout and a "turtle" neck fleece.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Damn, wetsuit sounds like an epic idea. How much does one set you back though?

Suppose its work it to ride into single digits though...I've only been into the high teens. (temperature wise!)

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by thedudeman
...I've only been into the high teens. (temperature wise!)
How much into typing that did you realize what you said ... haha. Nice save though.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by freakyb
How much into typing that did you realize what you said ... haha. Nice save though.
lmao I was thinking the same thing

Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UA ColdGear

Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by freakyb
I knew it was gonna go there

It almost slipped by me though. haha

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Riding Gear?