Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Buying a Ducati

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Ducati

I'm about to finish restoring my clean title 2006 600RR with 1338 original miles and I hopefully plan on getting rid of it for around $5000 this summer. With that in mind, I'm saving up for a Ducati 748, 916, or 996. Ironically, they seem relatively well priced where I live, in comparision to the overpriced Japanese sportbikes. I've been working and riding on Honda bikes for quite some time and want to experience a Ducati. I think the 916 really defines the term "superbike". Thus, I really want one!

I'm wondering what tips you guys have in owning a Ducati. I know they require a bit more maintenance than most Japanese bikes because of engine design. Desmo valves and timing belts. Do you guys think the Ducati sport bikes from 1998-2001 are fairly manageable to work on? I don't plan on servicing it at a dealer. I've always done my own work on my sport bikes whether that'd be valves, troubleshooting, etc.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by subyman1440
I'm about to finish restoring my clean title 2006 600RR with 1338 original miles and I hopefully plan on getting rid of it for around $5000 this summer. With that in mind, I'm saving up for a Ducati 748, 916, or 996. Ironically, they seem relatively well priced where I live, in comparision to the overpriced Japanese sportbikes. I've been working and riding on Honda bikes for quite some time and want to experience a Ducati. I think the 916 really defines the term "superbike". Thus, I really want one!

I'm wondering what tips you guys have in owning a Ducati. I know they require a bit more maintenance than most Japanese bikes because of engine design. Desmo valves and timing belts. Do you guys think the Ducati sport bikes from 1998-2001 are fairly manageable to work on? I don't plan on servicing it at a dealer. I've always done my own work on my sport bikes whether that'd be valves, troubleshooting, etc.
I know a lotta riders personally, the ducati riders dont ride it much. their bikes are always in the god damn shops getting worked on for something, never have problems with their other bikes kawasaki, bmw, honda etc

Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Originally Posted by Umayr
I know a lotta riders personally, the ducati riders dont ride it much. their bikes are always in the god damn shops getting worked on for something, never have problems with their other bikes kawasaki, bmw, honda etc
Nice.

Wonder how my 1098s got 16,000 miles on it then.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Umayr
I think that mostly has to do with most Ducati owners dont work on the bikes themselves where as witht he Japanese SS it seems every owner is a weekend mechanic.
I would have to agree that most Ducati owners don't put as much mileage on their bikes as they wait for the perfect days to ride, Kind of like how people use supercars.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 AM

I am definitely not getting a Ducati for my daily commuter. I couldn't risk lane splitting or getting it knocked over in the parking lot. That's what Honda's are for. Knock em over and pick em right up. I had 75k miles on my CBR and it took a beating! I will most likely baby my Ducati like everyone else lol. I'll ride it hard and ride it like it was designed to, but I'm positive I'll take much more care into it than a CBR haha. I see your point though. There's a reason why Ducati's are called "Superbikes".

Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 AM

the part's arn't cheap either. i feel like your mostly paying for the name.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by vfrman
Nice.

Wonder how my 1098s got 16,000 miles on it then.
???

Are you tryna say that is a high mileage bike?

This goes to show you what "high mileage" is from different types of owners.

16K is a reputable number apparently (ducati owner)
75k is a reputable number (honda owner )

Originally Posted by cam and corona
the part's arn't cheap either. i feel like your mostly paying for the name.
This is another huge thing, parts for ducati's are expensive as hell! They arent bad bikes at all, its just that theyre expensive when something goes wrong and it seems to happen too much .

Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Ducati's. Want an 848 Evo so bad. I think you get a lot for what you pay for. Compare the suspension, motor, etc. from a Ducati to a Japanese brand. Don't Ducati's have Ohlins.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

What year is that 75k Honda I wonder...

All I'm saying is don't be so jaded. If you don't own one, then in my opinion, your opinion is mute.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Smile

Gotta admit my duc is 4 show and my cbr is use and abuse. The cbr has 34000 on it and 848 has 5000.

Attached Thumbnails Buying a Ducati-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Buying a Ducati