Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Bought another one....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I really like it. Surprisingly, there aren't too many over here (or at least not like the UK). I'm convinced these engines are the small block 350 of the motorcycling world. Cheap, old school, and still deliver quite a punch....

Slave cylinder has been giving me issues... It was leaking since I bought it, so I rebuilt it (but there was a lot of corrosion in the cylinder). It was good, didn't leak a bit for a week, until yesterday again...

Figured out my oil leak issue, there's a spot by the oil drain tube where the valve cover gasket is not even seated completely....

And I'm still dialing in the carbs... I think I'm too rich on the idle circuit with the 35 small jets. If I get my mixture right to where it idles correctly and runs great around the neighborhood, I get too lean and I lose my topend with the 127.5 mains.

So I've got a smaller set of small jets coming - it should fix the issue... When I had the mixture screw set for the top end rush - I had an off idle stumble, and idling in the driveway made the plugs wet...

So we'll see. But overall, I'm in love with this bike... Its not a thoroughbred in a track suit like the 954 was. It's the unshaven bald guy in the corner of the bar you don't want to mess with.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:03 AM
Sept 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of them here have a turbo 😂 Not as many of them with turbo as the old 1100 GSX-R:s but a lot. I would allso recommend you that same ''small'' exhaust modification 😂😂

Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 AM
Red face

Haha, we'll see what happens with this bike after I get the 954 done. It probably will go under the knife at that point.

I found some really good looking bandits. I'll be honest, I was shopping for either a B12 or a Z1000. Look what I found

Name:  MyBike01.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  114.4 KB

And then there's this too...

But for now, I'm just riding it. I have been paroozing old skool Suzuki though... I'm starting to really like the bandit

Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 PM

Ugh, my eBay app needs a breathilizer...

Bought a set of 1100 WP USD forks, trees, and axle... Don't know how quick I'll tackle it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dying to tear into it.

I bailed on the Hayabusa shock. They don't fit mK1 bandits like I have now...the 600 I had was an mK2, and busa shocks slip right in on them.

But K8 gsxr 1000 shocks do fit. I picked one up and put it on. I had to trim the battery box a bit, and shim the dogbones, but the bike handles so much better, its not even funny.

Last edited by Conrice; 03-01-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM

Alright - an update.

I've been riding the Bandit quite a bit, something I haven't been able to do on any bike for a while. So, I finally have the carbs dialed in. When I bought the bike - it had 35 pilots and 127.5 mains. I've since had to up the mains to 150s to get the mixture screws in a reasonable position (still 3.25 turns out). And although I can't tell you which air needle I had originally, now I'm running the 5dp7 mikuni air needle to help with the pod filters. It works much better.

I also found an '90 gsxr 750 L intake can that I put in about a month ago. And holy ****, did it wake the bike up! So much so that I now I get clutch slippage around 7.5k on hard throttle.

The slippage is pretty common once you start giving these bikes power from what I've read. It seems that the clutch is fine, but the pressure plate spring doesn't put enough pressure on it. So I also have a Barnett HD spring to put on.

I've been sidelined with an eye surgery for 2 weeks - not allowed to ride. The bike is going under the knife in the meantime. The gixxer front end will get installed, and some will the clutch spring...

I'll update with pics as it unfolds