Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

599 or cb500f

Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 599 or cb500f

I'm torn between these 2 bikes.

The 599 is higher performance and IMO looks better. It would be used and maybe save $1500 our so

But the cb500f doesn't look bad and gets killer mileage. Now would be new so no possible problems from previous owner

The bike will mostly be used to commute 100 mile round trip to work and occasional weekend fun

Any insight would be appreciated. Even other models that might fit the bill.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the CB599 is unfaired - a streetfighter or standard, you will regret the long commute. And the low mileage.

I vote CBF500.

Unless you like having the raw power under your fist, I'd strongly consider the 500F. It's got looks and handling, and it's light.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the CB500F. Fuel injection is where it's at. Despite the fact that the 599 is pretty much bulletproof, it's still nice to have a warranty. I rode a CBR500, which is pretty much the same bike and I enjoyed the power delivery as well as the agile handling so you're not really losing much of anything in the performance department.

Other possibilities:
SV650 - Fairly reliable, pretty decent fuel mileage, several different types of configurations as far as riding position and parts for this bike are everywhere.

Ninja 650 - Similar to the above. Can't say much about the reliability, but it's hard to tread on Honda territory when it comes to it.

All that being said, and I know you're going for a naked bike here, but I would consider a dual sport like an XR650 or DR650. They're fairly capable on the twisty stuff, have the suspension travel and accessory options to make them comfy for distance stuff, are usually bullet proof and being that you're in NC, you've got plenty of off-road areas you can venture to that standard street bikes wouldn't have a chance in.

Whatever you choose, good luck in your search.

Search this Thread