Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Your opinions please....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your opinions please....

hi all,
i was lookin for insurance for a bike....and just got off the phone with gieco and they quoted me $1542/yr for liability only. Is that good or bad. i'm 21yr ol with 2 speedin ticks. i'll be takin the MSF course first then get the bike... i'm gonna buy a used bike first to practise on and get comfy with...
Should i go for full coverage and just liability... wht's the diff... is full coverage worth only for new and expensive bikes only? what does "only liability" mean ?
all opinions would be greatly appreciated... thank you all...

Old 11-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Your opinions please....

Liability covers whoever or whatever you hit, But it dose not cover the bike. Full coverage will cover the person you hit up to the covered amount and will cover the value of your bike (if totaled) not what you paid. Im pretty sure thats how it works.?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full covers all...regardless of who hit who, blah blah blah...
geico sucked...they quoted me 1200/year...

i went with McGraw...way cheap....

Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 PM

Sometimes full coverage will pay for everything including helmet, gear, bike, etc., even if you crash yourself with no other vehicles involved. I couldn't afford full coverage, but I couldn't ever relax without at least liability with theft. It's too easy for someone to steal a bike if they want it, no matter where it is.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM

i guess i'll jus go with liability only...wouldn't be able to afford full...

Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 PM

Shop around, that is waaaaaaay high for liability only, that sounds like a full coverage quote to me. I use gieco, they rock for me, 1,100 a year zero deductable full coverage, towing and rental, and payoff. Now, I think thats still high for me, absolutely squeeky clean record, almost 30 years old, not one ticket, wreck, nadda, My car insurance is very decent, but when I shopped around, progressive wanted 2,200 a year with a 1,000 deductable and some were higher. I think liability on my 06 1KRR was 189 a year, but the full coverage jacks it way up. On my F2 I was paying 75 a year for liability and full would have cost me 535 or so. Depends on the bike, the person, and the area they're in and whether your bike is stored in a garage or not. Do some shoppin, I don't know what kind of crazy formula the agents use, hell, my twin could have the same bike and live next door and the quotes be drastically different. I Use allstate for most of my insurance needs, very reasonable, and great service, but they don't insure any sportbike, none, just cruisers. Who knows, but definately call around.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

Shop around, that is waaaaaaay high for liability only, that sounds like a full coverage quote to me. I use gieco, they rock for me, 1,100 a year zero deductable full coverage, towing and rental, and payoff. Now, I think thats still high for me, absolutely squeeky clean record, almost 30 years old, not one ticket, wreck, nadda, My car insurance is very decent, but when I shopped around, progressive wanted 2,200 a year with a 1,000 deductable and some were higher. I think liability on my 06 1KRR was 189 a year, but the full coverage jacks it way up. On my F2 I was paying 75 a year for liability and full would have cost me 535 or so. Depends on the bike, the person, and the area they're in and whether your bike is stored in a garage or not. Do some shoppin, I don't know what kind of crazy formula the agents use, hell, my twin could have the same bike and live next door and the quotes be drastically different. I Use allstate for most of my insurance needs, very reasonable, and great service, but they don't insure any sportbike, none, just cruisers. Who knows, but definately call around.

wow u have way too cheap insurance (atleast that's wht i feel ) i'm 21yr old ( most dangerous age group for almost any kinda insurance ) with 2 speed ticks with 8 months apart therefore couldn't take the traffic skool( really foolish of me ) but $682 for 6 months liability only is somethin i can afford rite now....but i'm still shopin around... hopin for cheaper one... i'm a nurse...does that make a diff. in insurance....lol just a thought

Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 PM

I have allstate for $80/mnth for comp, which covers liability claims,plus fire, vandalism, and theft (main thing). Just shop around

Old 11-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got my bike added to my nationwide policy for my pickup truck...cost $11/mo

Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Retired Moderator

I am 33, married, have medium credit, and have a six month old speeding ticket. I pay about $1000 per year through an outfit called Formost or Foremost. Geico wanted to charge me about $1800/yr, if I remember correctly. I would shop around. Your age, credit rating, and tickets are going to hurt you no matter what. If you are worried about theft, I would really consider full coverage.

Quick Reply: Your opinions please....